Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Cooler Leak ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mr.Selfdestruct, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Mr.Selfdestruct

Mr.Selfdestruct Registered Member

This morning i drove to the gas station to fill the ole suburban up, and when i got out of the truck i noticed a stream of oil that was behind my truck. i followed the stream to a huge puddle under the truck, the oil was pouring out of my Oil Filter and or Oil Cooler . Is this a common problem ? Is there a gasket on the oil cooler somewhere? I had to park the truck and take another vehicle to work. The truck is still sitting at the gas station, waiting for me after i get off of work, SO i havent actually pulled the filter off the truck yet, but in the case that its not the filter and it is the Oil Cooler, any tips would be appreciated.

-Tim

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

was it leaking were the oil cooler lines come out of the oil cooler adapter on the block? They use some crappy connectors there that can be leaking.

3. Mr.Selfdestruct

Actually it looks to be leaking directly above the Oil Filter itself.

-TIm

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The oil cooler lines thread into what appear to be brass fittings, which thread into the aluminum filter adapter.

It's likely that the line(s) started leaking right where the line meets the fitting. The rubber hose style oil cooler lines are much poorer construction than the earlier braided steel lines when it comes to leaking at the fittings.

You can have new lines made up at hydraulic shops for much less than what new lines cost from GM if it is the issue.

It shouldn't be too tough to crawl under the truck, start it, and see where it's coming from. There is an o-ring on the adapter as well, that potentially could go bad, or your oil filter seal could have blown out as well. Need to look at the truck and see what can be figured out from that.

5. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Check the lines themselves. They sit on top of a frame cross member and can rub right through the line over time....causing your exact situation (which I have experienced on the side of the road late at night in freezing temperatures).

6. Mr.Selfdestruct

Ok i'll be sure to check both the line and the filter/filter adapter.

Thanks again
    -Tim

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thay use a geasket and oring to seal the adaptor to the block.

8. Mr.Selfdestruct

Ok, i turned the truck on, got underneath it, and felt around and i it looked like the oil was coming from inbetween the block and the Oil Filter Adapter, directly above where the two steel hoses and fittings attach.

So i pulled the filter, and removed the two allen bolts and droped the oil cooler assmbley, and i could see half a gasket and i couldnt find an o-ring, and on the lower part of the filter assmebley that touches the block, it deffinately looked like there should have been an O-ring there. So im gonna pick up a gasket/O-ring kit at the local chevy dealership and hope it fixes the problem.

Im just thankful i was able to notice the huge leak before i seized the motor on the highway!! :eek1:

-Tim