Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil cooler line keeps blowing off!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86haubs, Nov 1, 2006.

1. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

This is the 3rd time this year it has happened to me, I would like to see pics of some other members setups to see what I am doing wrong.

I am actually running a trans-cooler for my oil. Is this a problem? I have a 5/8" rubber line coming off the factory oil lines, going through a reducer to the 3/8" rubber line for the cooler. I didn't have time this morning to look at it and see exactly what happened this time, but I need any help you guys and gals can offer.:mad:

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

What kind of hose clamps are you using? I would recommend using one of the fuel injection hose claps (Ideal makes them). They look to be a bit stronger.

Are the ends on the cooler side barbed to use with a hose clamp?

3. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

All places where my lines hook up are barbed. I was told that oil coolers have a dual barb fitting, opposed to my single barb. I am just using standard hose clamps, I am pretty confident that the hose clamps are not the problem. But who knows?

4. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

You can try double clamping the connections, but when you reduce the size of the lines, the pressure on them is going to go up.

5. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I think I am going to buy an "oil cooler" and ditch the "trans cooler" I am thinking this might be the problem because the cooler can not offer the flow I need when the engine is cold and I think this is the problem. What do y'all think?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say..

I'd use an oil cooler for motor oil,and a tranny cooler for a tranny or P/S cooler...I think 3/8" is too small for the volume of oil the oil pump can push,and its causing a pressure build up,that eventually blows the hose off..the fact your reducing a 5/8 hose to a 3/8 hose raises the pressure, and reduces flow rates,and is likely your trouble...

All the factory oil coolers I have seen have at least 1/2" I.D. hoses and tubes in them..:crazy:

7. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help. I guess that is what I will have to do. I never thought about doing a P/S cooler, how would I go about doing one?

8. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Get hard lines or have oreilly's make you some hydraulic lines you can use.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That trans cooler isn't up to the job at all. Never step down in hose/tube size from stock. Can step up in size. Go with either a stock engine oil cooler found on those vehicles with the tow option or use a cooler designed to be used for engine oil. Can get them from circle track vendors like Port City, Coleman, AFCO, etc.

On the PS cooler thing, just put a small trans sized cooler in the return hose.

& speaking of hoses, look into the "Push-Lok" or "Barb-Tite" type of hose fittings. They have 2 barbs and are difficult to push the hose over. This type of hose end, when used with the correct hose, is good to way above normal engine oil pressures w/o a hose clamp at all. In fact, putting a clamp on them usually cuts the hose & causes a failure. If going barbless bothers you, then after they are assembled put a tie-wrap over the hose btwn the barbs. Cinch it down snug, but not tight.

10. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Dude, the pressure going to 3/8" is doin' it, you need 1/2". Factory lines are at least that.

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hose clamped lines are not something I'd be messing with on oil lines.. Good way to pop a motor...

Do the Push-Lock or better yet, make some up with reusable AN fittings...

12. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Well 130 bucks later the Burb is running like a champ. The hoses I pulled off were completly shot! They were expanded almost twice the normal size, the inlet line finally let go this morning. It never really crossed my mind that the trans cooler wouldn't work. I didn't even think about it because this truck was so jimmy-rigged when I bought it. I am working these problems a little at a time.

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Hydraulic lines would be the only thing I'd use. You can have them crimped, or you can buy the reusable fittings.

Or do like I did - ditch the cooler altogether and plug the block. :D

14. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I think I would rather take my chances having one, than not having one.

I was thinking back, I think I know how it blew. I went mudding this weekend and got stuck, bad. I was on it pretty hard, I bet that is when i got the hole in my line. WHOOPS! AH, it was worth it!