Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OIL cooler question about 90's pickup setup on 80's K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Nov 13, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OIL cooler question about 90\'s pickup setup on 80\'s K5

Will a 90ish truck oil filter adapter fit on my 87? It mounts to the filter location and drops the filter down about an inch, it has two hard lines that run up front.

My dad has one on his 93 pickup I thought about getting one and try putting it on my blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Re: Tranny cooler question about 90\'s pickup setup on 80\'s K5

BTT

3. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

Re: Tranny cooler question about 90\'s pickup setup on 80\'s K5

i'm not too sure on the oil cooler/old tranny cooler setup. i don't think it will work.

the newer oil cooler adapter should work fine for your 87. my 87 came with a factory auxilary oil cooler and i bet it real similar to the early 90's. i hope this helps.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: OIL cooler question about 90\'s pickup setup on 80\'s K5

If you are talking about the factory installed oil cooler then yes it will bolt up to your engine. Some blazers came with the factory oil cooler installed, my "89" has it factory.

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Well....depends on what year the oil cooler is from. I just had to deal with this putting a '95 block in an 87 suburban. Basically 87 cooler/95 block. The 1987 uses an adapter where the lines go into that. The lines come from the cooler and go the fittings are STRAIGHT to go into the adapter.
    On the later models...the lines go directly into the block, so they have a 90* fitting on them. So I dont see how they would just screw into the earlier adapter.

I had to get some conversion lines from GM for this purpose. They bolt right up to the 1987 cooler...and then have the fittings to go into the block rather than the adapter.

Make sense?

Oops,, just re-read your post...it sounds like you already HAVE the adapter. So yeah it should work. On the later blocks they dont use the adapter so you cant screw one on, the blocks werent cast that way. You have to run the lines directly into the block parallel to the oil pan rail.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like it will work fine. I had that setup on my '82 untill one of the lines blew on me. Then I decided that it wasnt worth it.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Blocks are the same, not sure why it wouldn't work. Maybe you can get your local chev dealer to cross reference the part number for that adapter for your year truck, and the year donor you are dealing with.