Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil cooler setup?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyhs, Oct 15, 2002.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I have a 1990 3/4 ton Sub /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif with a 350 and no oil cooler. I picked up an oil cooler setup from a 1978 3/4 ton pickup /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif with a 454. Does anyone know if the adapter that goes between the block and the oil cooler is the same for these two trucks? If not where's the best place to get it? Napa, Dealer?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I understand that they are the same. I just threw mine in the garbage. The lines let loose on me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Didnt notice a change at all in temp levels. You might be able to get it all from the salvage yard.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Didn't notice a change in engine or oil temp's? Don't have an oil temp gauge myself, but I'm running the cooler, just curious how you arrived at the no temp change statement.

4. Sandman

I based my conclusions on the water temp guage and the oil pressure guage. Going with the theory that hot oil=lower pressure. Both readings did not change. I also do not pull long hills with a trailer. It might make a difference then.
    I do pull long tracts of deep mud with big tires. I'm not saying dont do it, I just didnt notice a change once the system was removed. I would like to see data from somebody with an oil temp guage.

5. dyeager535

I'd like to see someone post that too if they have it.

Thermostat regulates engine temp, so engine temp wouldn't noticeably go down if the engine oil is cooler, (although you are easing the load on the radiator) but the engine oil temp sure should.

6. Sandman

I agree. I would love to see some hard data. I know that this has been brought up before. It would be nice to have a solid answer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

As far as seat of the pants...i installed a factory oil cooler kit garnished from Ebay in january....1976 K5 Chalet...400 small block...decreased temp (h20) from 1/2 at highway speeds to a steady middle of the road between 1/4 and 1/2...regardless of highway or in town.

Factoid....diesel tech for a living....diesels....having ecm's that yet are crude compared to that of a 02 silverado....yet monitor alot of cool data...with adjustable parameters....over the years i have found oil temp generally runs 10 degree's below that of h20 temp...provided the system is functioning properly and properly maintained. All the big engines have oil coolers...built in...usually somewhere on the pass side of the motor...hot oil is passed thru a cylinder full of long tubes surrounded by coolant....and some high torque rockwell transmissions cool the trans fluid using the same method...and while i'm typing about it even the allison at545's found in most medium duty trucks cool the trans fluid the same way.

In my opinion a cooler...factory or not is a valuable option for any engine....

All GM oil coolers wether trans or oil...from 73 to 91 (C_K_R_V)....are the same...except for a small detail....73 to 80 brackets ...upper brackets with welded j-nut are longer than that of the 81 to 91 variety....and the bottom braket differs slightly also 2 holes vs. 3....straight vs. triangular. Allthough the cooler fittings are of the captured o-ring style...you can convert them to AN fittings and hust build your own number 6 AN lines....if you could get the lines from gm...they would cost a small fortune..

Azblazer

8. Sandman

Interesting info. Thanks.

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Like AZBLAZER said, everything is the same. I did a SBC to BBC swap on a Blazer that had a factory oil cooler with no probelms at all. The only drawback I saw was that on the BBC the oil cooler put the filter within an inch of the header but they never touch.

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

So you think the complete kit I got will bolt right in? The only problem should be the mounts for the cooler itself?

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Allthough the cooler fittings are of the captured o-ring style...you can convert them to AN fittings and hust build your own number 6 AN lines....if you could get the lines from gm...they would cost a small fortune..

[/ QUOTE ]
    How do you convert those blasted o-ring fitings to AN? Do you have a line on an an adapter?

12. dyeager535

Don't forget that later years went to a rubber line similar to a power steering pressure line, while earlier ones were much more durable (IMO) braided steel/rubber setups.

As to bolting it onto a block, you'll need to get a new O-ring to seal the adapter to the block unless you already have one. The local GM dealer had one in stock when I called, and it was really cheap.