Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hulk81, Jan 22, 2007.

1. hulk81

hulk81 Registered Member

i have a 1990 gmc suburban with a 350 and i doing a motor swap but my oil cooler lines will not come off and they been leaking so i just cut them and was going to buy new ones that was 2 weeks ago now i can not find the right lines:mad: i've had 3 differant set of line and none of them has been right all of them came from the dealer so what is the side effects if i block off the oil cooler or do i need to fab up my own lines and i know next time think before you cut somthing but i thought these lines would easy to get:doah:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup...

Rule # 1..never destroy old parts that were still working!(even if they leak,etc!)..especially on a sunday!..:doah: ..

I've seen guys peel back the crimped portion of the OEM hoses and cut the old hoses off with a razor knife,there is a barbed fitting under the crimp--then they use new bulk hose of the proper type and size on the original metal tubes, and hose clamps to secure the hose(the same way you can fix an air hose in the shop when a crimped fitting fails).....trouble is,up here the tubes rotting away is the main reason the hose fails,not the rubber!...

I think GM hoses are cheap crap,and way overpriced!..hard to get too..I usually have new hoses made at a hydraulic hose shop-- much cheaper,and you end up with far better quality hoses and fittings..seen many S-10 mptors blow when the oil cooler hoses fail,and the owner kept driving until the motor was junk..:doah: :crazy:

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I used steel braided hose, AN fittings and flared the old aluminum ends. :deal:

Marv

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yep dont trash old till verifyed new is correct and in hand.

and 2 bolts is all that holds cooler to block. you could have just droped the filter/cooler adaptor and swaped motor. .

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had new rubber installed on the factory parts at a shop that makes hydraulic hoses. Cost less than $30 to have both hoses fixed up better than new. :cool1:

6. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Flared the old aluminum ends? Anyway, I used steel braided hose and AN's as well. If the hose ever goes bad I can just buy 6 more feet and swap the ends. Reuseable fittings rule :D