Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Dipstick tube?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Dec 6, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bent my oil dipstick all to heck when I installed the engine, so I bought a cheapie chrome one for about $5 from Autozone. It's not just the dipstick, it's the tube too.
    Well, how do you install it? It does not want to go into the block. I have tried grabbing it with pliers and beating on the pliers with a BFH. I have tried a screwdriver inside it to beat on it. It is starting to lok like the old one I took off! How do you get it in?
    350 driver's side dipstick.
    -- Mike

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well mine is a two piece type. The bottom piece is INSIDE the block and pan. The top piece is outside and it simply slides in tho the hole on the block. It only goes in about 1/2 inch or so. Did the one you bent look shorter than the one you bought?? Go to a GM parts counter and ask to see what the have listed for your year. Sounds like you were givin the wrong part!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

It should just "push" in wiht minimal effort. You sure they gave you the right one?(no offense)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

How did the old one come out?

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like they gave you the wrong one it should just slide right in no need 4 the old (bfh)lol

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

6. FLWIV440

FLWIV440 Registered Member

CHROME TUBES ARENT THAT great. get one from gm and you shouldnt have any problems.

7. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

If its for the drivers side the part going into the block will be a couple of inches, MAX. take a screw driver, put it in the tube from the top side, put the tube over the dipstick tube hole then pound the screw driver with a hammer, lightly. This should force the tube in the block, you might have to straighten the tube first. PS, I did this to a chrome tube from pep boys, probably the same type one you have, and no problems............yet.......js

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

After I removed the heads last time I also had trouble getting the dipstick back in! And it still is not right, it just won't go all the way in! It is the stock one, doesn't look bent...any suggestions?? My motor doesn't burn any oil (fresh rebuild), but I cautiously add just a touch of oil once in a while (as I can't get a goo dreading of the stick)

Anyone else have this problem before??

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I got it to fit by touching up the outside of the tube (where it goes into the block) with my die grinder.
    The tube I took out looked EXACTLY the same as the one I tried to put in. But the OD was just SLIGHTLY more. I dunno why.
    I actually trimmed a little too much metal, it's a tad loose. Once I get the engine running, I'll see if it stays in there. If not, it's off to the GM parts counter.
    Thanks for the replies!
    -- Mike