Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil drain plug stripped

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Does anyone know the size and threads on the oil drain plug bolt for a 350? The person I bought my ‘91 rig from was servicing his oil changes at the local siphon club and they stripped the threads on the pan. They installed a generic plug that I want to get rid of, so I need to re-tap the threads in order to go back to OEM. Thanks in advance.

2. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

When I striped mine I went with an oversize one that I bought at autozone. orignal is 1/2 20(fine thread, I might be wrong on 20, it might be 18) and oversized 9/16 18

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i think they make a kit for this problem but i would use this as a reason to get a new BIG oilpan HEHEHE /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Or if not a oversize pan then one with the skid plate welded on the bottom for more strength.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

FU(|< it, a big one with a skid plate. but i dont see how a person could put the oil pan on a 4x4 in to a rock without other problems to...
    grant

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you roll over a tree limb and your left tire rocks it up into your oil pan. Or you spit a rock up into your oil pan.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go to your local parts store and ask them for a oversize drain plug. They come in a 1st oversize, 2nd oversize, and a 3rd oversize. Once you have used the 3rd oversize then you replace the oil pan.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go to your local parts store and ask them for a oversize drain plug. They come in a 1st oversize, 2nd oversize, and a 3rd oversize. Once you have used the 3rd oversize then you replace the oil pan. These oversize drain plugs by the way are self tapping.