Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil filter mount leaking

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by rick88blaze, Jan 25, 2007.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

My '93 K2500 with a 350tbi started leaking oil while I was in Iraq. A mechanic told my wife it was the rear main, but I got to looking at it today and it looks like the oil filter mount is leaking. I need to change the oil anyways, so I was wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to take the filter mount off of the block. I want to pull it down and reseal it when I change the oil. I saw the 2 or 3 bolts that hold it on, but I was wondering if there is anything more involved than just unbolting it, cleaning it up and resealing it and bolting it back on.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a gasket and an o ring.

3. rick88blaze

I don't suppose you have a part # for them?

Rick

4. rick88blaze

Disregard, I got the kit through NAPA today.

When I got it apart, I realized that this had been fixed before and very poorly too. They slathered it with orange RTV to try and stop the leak.

Here's the funny part, it started leaking while I was in Iraq. My wife took it to a shop to find out where it was leaking from. They told her that it was the rear main was leaking and it would cost $700 to get it fixed. The gasket and o-ring cost me $8 at NAPA.

Thanks beater,

Rick

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

nothing bias to you but the second opinion was the correct one . dont always trust the firstone you get. and as a mechanic if you dont belive them ask to go see it when its on the lift. if thay wont show you then its b.s for sure.

6. rick88blaze

Here's the thing, my wife even questioned them about it. She asked them that if the rear main had gone out, wouldn't the leak be right in the middle instead of off to the side a little bit, and they told her no. She was pretty sure they were full of S**t when they told her that. When she told me all of this on the phone I told her to just leave it until I got home.