Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil filter tests

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Sep 9, 2004.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Can someone post up links to the sites where some people (I believe they were users/members from here) preformed tests on oil filters? I have tried to search, but all it does is show me replies that have nothing to do with the subject I typed in. Thanks.

2. jon v

jon v Registered Member

Are you wanting to compare quality of oil filters, or have your used filter cut apart and the pieces of metal in the filter analysed? CTC Analytical's (Stavely Services) lab in Phoenix will cut open your filters and analyse the contents for you.

To compare filters, you get what you pay for. Your first clue is compare the weight. El cheapo specials barely weigh anything. Some baseplates can be so thin that they flex when tightened down, and the filter element may separate from the base plate.

If you are concerned about the condition of your engine, then perform oil analyses at each drain interval. Use a qualified independant laboratory. I use Polaris Labs in Indianapolis and CTC analytical in Reno. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For what it's worth, I've ripped apart the napa silver (wix) filters the last two oil changes, and they are very high quality. No paper in them whatsover, rubber and steel with filter media.

The only way I can think to improve them, which I couldn't tell by sight, is to use a better filter media. Not that there is anything wrong in the silver, just that I can't see a way to improve the rest of the filter.

Oh, BTW, looks like Napa has changed the filter packaging for Silvers, but the same filter inside, still says "silver" on it, and is internally the same. Although the new ones do say "made in england" on the box.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I actually use 90% of the time Napa Gold or Wix. I had to buy a Fram Double Guard for my car because I forgot my filter and Kragen was right there and I wasn't going to drive home. I use a place where you provide the filter and oil, and for $6 they change it. It's not worth doing it myself for $6 bucks.

Anyhow, no, someone on another forum posted up Frams are the best and such. I wanted to share some links with him. I recalled the ones I saw here were very informative.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

When you get done with the Fram, cut it open. They've gotten such a bad rap, perhaps there are changes in certain ones. Not like they advertise "we used to use paper, but now we use metal and rubber!" heh

Funny thing is, from what I've seen, Fram's at Schucks (Checker and Kragen same thing) are more expensive than the napa silvers. Even on sale, last I checked, the Fram's were more expensive than the Napa Silvers NOT on sale. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Not saying Silvers are the best, just that I'm cheap, but not stupid enough to pay more for a filter (Fram) that at BEST (likely much worse) is as good as the Silvers.

8. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, Fram is still in business based on name recognition only. Their product truly is junk. Napa Gold (which is made by Wix) are good filters (I have been using them for about 15 yrs now) even Wix's second line Pro-Tec had more filter media and a thicker can than a Fram, but Hastings makes about the best filter in the aftermarket. The only drag about that is they can be very difficult to find in some areas (like here in Phx). If I recall correctly, I think Amsoil did a filter comparison a while back, so you might what to check their site and see what they found.