Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil filter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 13, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Is it not a good idea to change the oil, filter you have been using... cuz the preious owner took it to walmart each time he changed the oill. They used the cheap filte rand oil. Would it not be a good idea to switch to a dif type of oil/ filter?

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.11 gears, Lim Slip Dif, Force2 Catback, rear springs , Throtle body spacer.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

No problem to switch - it'd be a concern if it had always had synthetic before, but switching up doesn't hurt.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

technically, if he didn't run detergent oil you shouldn't either, but non-detergent oil is difficult to come by, so i would ASSUME that wal-mart doesn't have it.

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I work at a Jiffy Lube, and I don't know about the guys at Wal-Mart, but I'd absolutely refuse to service a vehicle if a customer demanded non-detergent oil and brought it with them. I'd politely show them the door on the opposite side of the shop from where they came in, and ask them to drive through it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

why. switching from detergent to non-detergent does nothing for the car, the environment, the cylinder. actually the crud buildupp helps to keep things seeled up, honest. i work at a parts store.

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.