Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OIL FILTERS rant

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by arq, Oct 28, 2002.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I've heard how crappy fram oil filters are, so i switched over to napa. wow, big deal. now i get oil stains on my drive way. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif wondering what could of caused that. worn rear oil seal /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif oh well, i got over 75k miles on the engine, it's bound to happen. but wait, it's coming from the oil filter. so i replace it on the next sched oil change to another napa. guess what... i'm getting crappy napa filters. so next time i'll stick to fram... i'm not even running any high volume or high pressure oil pump. it's just a stock replacement /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ARQ.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you want a quality filter get a WIX or Hastings you will pay twice as much as a Fram but get 10 times more filter quality. Fram uses cheap materials like paper end caps and cheap anti-drainback valves that can cause problems.

Not every Fram filter will fail but think of it like an insurance policy.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You've made sure that there's not an old filter gasket stuck to the sealing face on the block, right?

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Here is an interesting oil filter study...thanks, Dorian.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

next time i change my oil filter, im gunna get a delco oil filter, ive been useing fram all my life, i dont see how big of a deal they are, never payed much attention to them, but id say use OEM stuff, because that is what my teacher told me at my auto tech place.

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have always used AC Delco oil filters, I use the PF35 on my truck, I have never had any problems with them. At start up when cold my truck pumps between 110-120 psi of oil pressure and when it warms up at idle its between 70-80 psi. I know thats more pressure than anybody needs but I just wanted to make a point that I think the AC filters are tougher than people give them credit for. But that's just my experience and opinion.

7. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

purolater are cheap and good

8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The AC Delco's are also pretty cheap in price too. I've been using the Bosch. I dont know how it is quality wise, but I've been told its pretty good.

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

my bad, it was an AC Delco oil filter, just that it was so full of oil that i could not see the brand. I remembed using napa and AC before. the AC leaked like a dog, it could of been a defective one. I check it out and it was the filter that leaked at the seam near the top. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

before AC, i've used fram for many many years. engines that i've used fram filters with have ran over 200k miles. i'll go to the old saying "if it aint broke don't fix it" and go back to fram...

ARQ.

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you want a quality filter get a WIX

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI the NAPA gold filter are WIX filters just in a napa wrapper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Yep and everything sold under the Walmart "TECH2000" brand name is actually a FRAM and they sell them on the same shelf for $1 difference (but the walmart dont have the spray on bedliner at the bottom /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

12. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, after taking over 17 different brands of filters apart, I stick with BALDWIN. They are the biggest manuf. for the large diesel truck filters and such and with my student discount they are the same cost as fram.

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

That study basically says they all suck... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Amen on the Baldwin filters. I run one of the big 2 quart ones, lol, It hangs even with the bottom of the big block oil pan. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I got a whole case of the things for free......So I'm set for awhile. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i've used FRAM for 156,000mi so far, i think they're just fine. never had a problem with them.

16. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

mobil 1 for me.

17. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

wix is what I use, but a cheap good quality filter in my opinion is purolater, don't waste your money on that fram x2 or whatever, its just a regular filter with a cool paint job

18. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Not necessarily...

...a few filters received good marks. Most of the filters are just junk and will never be used on my engine.

I personally use AC Delco or Mobil 1...

On a side note, there is no substitute for an adhered to maintenance schedule. Cheap insurance IMO...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

19. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

The only time I had one leak is when I left a old seal on and put a new filter on top of it.
    As for Oil and Air filters I run Amsoil Before I sold Amsoil I used K&amp;N oil and air filters

Eric

20. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

What about the K&amp;N's? In my experiance they seem to keep to oil cleaner for quaite a bit longer then the Fram's, but that's all I know. Tell me what you think of them. Later