Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil furnace ??'s

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big_truxx, Jan 14, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

If anyone out there is an oil furnace tech or knows a good deal about them or whatnot help me out please. I am curious to find out if heating oil is very similar to diesel. I had heard a rumor a while back that it was the same thing really but with a dye so you couldn't run it in a vehicle legally. So is diesel and heating oil the same thing? Also if not then could you use diesel instead of heating oil in an oil furnace? Thanks and apreciation for help!! :)

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pretty much the same stuff, just different colors. Diesel probably has other additives, to keep it from gelling in the cold, lube the injector pump, etc. But home heating oil should (in theory at least) cost less than diesel, since diesel has road taxes included in the price.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Yes as far as I know home heating oil does in fact cost a bit less. I am thinking ahead to a point in time where my house/garage will be built am I will be working on all kinds of projects. One of the more interesting ones is biodiesel. Which can be used in place of diesel, is between 1/4/and 1/3 the cost of diesel or home heating oil, and actually would clean lines and whatnot. I plan on storing my tank indoors in a heated setting to so gelling would not be a problem.

Thanks for the confirmation. Much apreciated! :waytogo:

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Another oil furnace ? just came to mind. I know some people burn waste oil from a garage type deal. I am wondering if that is done in a regular furnace setup or is it a modified one? Also is there a way to run that by thinning it out with something (gas??) to run it on ocasion mixed in with regular heating oil/diesel/biodiesel? If I could figure out that I can burn waste oil here and there in a reg oil furnace that would be a cool way to eliminate the watse and make good use of it all at once. :thinking:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I use deisel in my home heat system when we run out of oil (this has happened once or twice in the past several years).

I'm under the impression that they are the same, but dyed to be identifiable to tax evaders. IMO, you buy the fuel, why should the government be allowed to tax you depending on how you use it, whether it be in your house or your truck. I need my vehicle to get to work as much as I need my home heated in winter. Cheesey, another state con that slips under radar...

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

kinda. the 2nd link was the site where they have real good info on bio diesel. But I do not plan on using SVO. I had planned on using biodiesel which there is a small process involved in making. And since biodiesel can be used in a diesel engine w/o mods, I don't see why not run it in an oil furnace. I also am kinda thinking with waste oil it should be able to be mixed into whatever you normally burn therefore being diluted and not nearly as bad as trying to burn straight waste oil in a furnace. Someone confirm or deny my theories?

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Check your state laws... waste oil heaters, while producing less emissions than most other forms of heating your home are not legal in some states.

Otherwise do a google search for waste oil heater. I found plans about 6 months ago on how to build one for around $40.00. you can buy them and they really arent that expensive compared to other forms of large area heaters.

As for the home-heating and diesel issue... ever seen a cop pull someone over and check thier gas tank for anything other than drugs? hell no. So if you happen to have a 500 gallon barrel of heating oil and accidentally run it in your truck for a few hundred, thousand miles... I dont see how anyone would be the wiser.

Just a thought.

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

As long as you are driving a non comercial vehicle you'd be ok. Mostly if you never had to cross a scale. ie only drove in state w/o hauling a trailer.... I have been through a D.O.T. fuel check in Jersey (go figure) before when I used to drive an 18 wheeler. As for waste fuel. I was thinkin something more or less just dump a bit into the tank and let it mix with everything else to dilute it... but I do not know a lot about it yet. That's why I ask ??'s and don't just go off to do it. Better safe than sorry. I am thinking when I build my garage/house the furnace will be in the garage with the ductwork going through the breezeway to the house. So... would have to be something thats doable for a house too not just a shop. I had kinda thought in small amounts ie when ya change the oil dump it into the tank as long as there is a good amount of "normal" heating type fluid in there. But I really could make seperate heating system for both. It just would be more convenient to have it all in the garage and run the ductwork to the house. Saves heating system #'s needed and all. And I figured since the garage would be heated anyway be a lot easier to have all on the same source.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

DOOD!! Just googled the waste oil heater and found the 1st one was to a journey to forever site. I like their work. They do good stuff. I will have to look into that stove more. A forced air unit would be cool and would be just like a normal furnace. Also it would appear that you could burn crank case oil or waste vegatable oil (from resteraunt fryers) so... looks like a good way to get rid of crank oil from oil changes and free oil from resteraunts etc. w/o having to convert that to biodiesel saving time and money and not to mention labor. Biodiesel would still be great for a 6.2 though. But less work as you would not have to make it for the truck and house too. Thanks for the info. :waytogo:

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sounds like you're planning forced air?

I have a friend who's house is forced air, he hates it, says you have to have it on too much, the house cools down too fast once it's off.

If I were to build a house today, I'd go with in-floor radiant heating (electric or hot water), or if that weren't an option, hot water baseboard. My 1920's house has steam heat right now, which is great, but makes soooooo much dust, smelly sometimes, and requires big honkin radiators in each room. I'm in the process of replacing each rooms radiators with in-floor electric heating if the room doesn't have a wood floor (ok, so just the two bathrooms and kitchen)...

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well I was thinking forced air, but now am thinking I should look at more options. Like a waste oil heater. Could use one in the house and one in the garage. But that may save a lot and be a useful thing if I can get it all figured out. Also wood is a big option here. And I will have wood to burn left over from building so I may go with wood and waste oil. I have more research to do on the waste heat.

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well I did a search for regulations pertaining to residential waste oil heater use, and got just about nothing. It would appear though that you are not legally allowed to use them for home use. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me please?

I mean they are an awesome idea for heating with waste. And they burn everything. From crank case oil to gear oil to tranny fluid, diesel, #1 and #2 heating oil, vegatable oil and more... So I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use them in a home. I guess if I do find out in the end I cannot use it in the house throw it in the garage with a wood stove in the house and always leave the doors to the garage open :whistle: :waytogo:

14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if there is a law/regulation that states how far away from the furnace (regular house type) the tank has to be? If so how far?

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My 275gal. tank is about 4 feet from the furnace. When I bought the house in '99, the home inspector said the tank was a bit closer than normal, but within code requirements. He didn't say what the code was, and I don't recall asking him (it was a busy day, learning all the secrets about my first house).

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

cool beans! thanks.

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Uhm just blathering

I have a fuel oil furnace in my house and it's a damn smelting plant

HEAT DEATH !!!

18. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I am planning ahead. most likely will use a wood stove in house and a wood stove with maybe a waste oil heater (hopefully a homemade one for less than $50 :waytogo:) as an alternative to wood. But yer not sposed to have waste oil in house so I may or may not make one for the house. Prolly will cuz I am of the mind its my house... and it is in the woods... :whistle: :grin: