Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil gauge low at idle...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 10, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i noticed last time i had my rig out/about that when i sat at stop lights my oil pressure gauge would dip down to about 40%... then as i use the skinny pedal it goes up again near the top. My 350 doesnt burn much oil... and doesnt leak too much either and the dip stick shows theres plenty of oil in the pan. Is this a no biggie type of thing or something i should worry about? figured Id ask before my newish crate 350 gets fried on me. lol!

j

2. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

is it the stock sender and gauge? if so try installing and after market mechanical gauge just to see if there is a problem with the oil pressure. just my .02

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

get a after market guage and see if it still does it. Mine drops after it is warmed up then goes up again at crusing speed but from Minium to maximum, sounds like something is weird and it might be the guage

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If your pressure drops too low and if you have fuel injection the engine may shut off on you....FYI... I think it is 15 PSI and it shuts down.

John

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Hmm... after being warmed up good, at idle my goes down to about 20psi...as high as 60psi when not warmed up and accelerating normally. sometimes i can kind of feel the truck and see the rpm wanting to die on me in stop and go trafik. It usually never does but occasionally coming to a stop it will.
    I have a brand new engine, whats the deal with that?

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If your pressure drops too low and if you have fuel injection the engine may shut off on you....FYI... I think it is 15 PSI and it shuts down.

John

[/ QUOTE ]Mine bounces all over from 5 to 60 atleast thats what my gauge says so i dont think thats correct.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, stock sender and guage... came on my 305... now i have a crate 350. No FI... it doesnt drop all the way to 15... more like 30 if i remember right. Just looking at other peeps numbers it looks like i dont have toooo much to worry about. thx guys, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

8. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

If your concerned, go ahead and throw a mechanical guage on there just to check for sure. My all stock 90 drops to 30 when warm and at idle but goes to around 50 when accelarating.