Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil gauge pinned up high

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Oct 2, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

with the new engine in i really wanted to get my oil pressure gauge working. i got a new sending unit today, and when i just turn on the acc. it goes down to zero which it has never done, but when i start it its pinned again.

so, thoughts, new gauge?

2. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

With the key on, remove the wire from the sender and make sure the guage goes to zero. then hook the wire up to ground and see if it goes to max.make sure there is no breaks in the wire and it isnt pinched in anything. Very easy to do when you install a engine. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifGoood luck

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well i assume you have a 77-up when they changed to electric oil sender and guage,

if it helps any in the 83 k20 its converted to mechanical type with separate gauge mounted on dash and the factory in-dash guage is pegged to max, wire unplugged loose behind distributor

so apparently when its unplugged it maxes out

you may have the wire grounded on something, you may want ot check for that,

check to see if you have max ground on the terminal of the sender unit, it may be faulty,
    AFAIK it shouldnt have ground with engine not running, IE no pressure,

or it could be the opposite way around, but i doubt it

good luck