Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil gauge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Sep 23, 2002.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I am not sure what is Bad, but when i have been driving my truck the past 3 days, the oil gauge will jump front 30 to Peg. I am bout 1k till next oil change. any one have any ideas? I was thinking sending unit or gauge on the dash. Could the pressure be 60+?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like the Sender or the wire. I think if you ground the wire for the gage it pegs.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have a similar concern with my truck. Upon cold start-up, the oil pressure will be around 50-55psi. Then, when warm and idleing - say at a stoplight, it will be a hair past 30psi. Then, upon acceleration, the needle will push to 45-50psi. Only a few times has it gone over 60psi, and that is after long freeway drives. I use 10W30 Quaker State 4x4 blend.
    Is my oil pressure unusually jumpy, or are all engines' oil psi somewhat variable when rpms change. Just curious.

4. mitymouse

mitymouse Registered Member

your oil pressure should always flucuate with rpm,I would say the sender is bad though, A safe rule of thumb is 10 psi of oil press. per 1000 rpm, Many people would think thats low, however you dont want to rob the pan of oil either that where a lot of people buy a hi psi/hi volume pump, and capture all that oil in the intake valley not in the pan and cavate the pump, I have gotten away with a stock gm pump in a 400 that put out 580 rear wheel horse power,when I went to freshen up the block after the seasons the bearings should no signs of wear.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Oil is thicker when cold. Bearing tollerences are tighter. once the engine starts to heat the oild thins out and the bearing tollerences change . I would get a cheap mechaical gage and confirm that it's reading about the same ad the factory gage. If it is I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets under 15PSI hot at idle or get's lower than the 10psi-1000 RPM rule.
    I ran a engine for a year that idled at 3psi, YES 3PSI hot and never rattled a lifter and ran fine. Would turn about 20 PSI at 3k. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status