Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil in the Tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Mar 1, 2005.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

So I installed my york...

I did the "oil plug fix"

I installed a coelescing filter

I still have oil coming out of the end of the line. Enough that the only thing I would want to use the blow gun for is to coat the underside of my truck with motor oil.

Anyways... My question is: since I will be filling my tires with this air/oil mixture, will that make it easier for me to lose a bead? I mean with the oil inside the rim, under air pressure, it wants to get out, so it would probably be pushed to the edge of the rim / tire. It might get in between the rim and the tire, and make it easier for the tire to seprate from the rim? :confused: :ears:

2. FWP

FWP CRS

I have the exact same setup, and the oil I get out seems like alot, but it really isn't. I haven't had to add any oil to the york for more than a year. I have aired up and down many,many times using the york. I recently had my SXs demounted. Guess what? Not a lick of oil in there.

I wonder if you have as much oil coming out as I do?

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Go to sears and get yourself a moisture separater for your air line. It will take any moisture (oil) out of the air line.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If there is a Harbor Frieght near you they have them for about $20 (at least they do here).

5. B_to_C

By coalescing filter I meant a moisture seperator. I did pick one up for about $20 and it is installed in the air line. It does trap some oil, but there is still a good amount (visible spray) coming out of the end of the line. :confused:

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you might wanna get yourself a cheap seperator that goes on a spray gun so your running it at the end of your line.. so you have air chuck, filter, fitting.. plug that into your line.. air systems in shops always have the seperators at the end of the system. much better at trapping contaminents..

something like the round orange one on this page http://www.autobodypro.com/tektips/articles/air_cond.htm

it'll be a little bulky and dorky, but should help...

7. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

they do sell oil seperators. They are a bit different then the moisture seperators.

Eastwood sells them for 100 or checkout your local bodyshop supplier.

I would be a bit concerned about how the oil is going to react with the rubber on the inside of the tire. I dont know the composition of tires, but the oil may weaken the tire internally.

8. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Nick,

Undo the oil puke fix, I talked with Brad Kilby and they told me this actually does not work as well as without it. It's just the nature of the beast, mine was really puking at first and now it's settled down a bit.

Rob

9. ryoken

the point of my post was to get something at the end of the line... i've never seen reasonable small inline oil seperators such as the moisture one i posted.. i know there different (heck, i built 3 body shop air systems), but the inline one definitely does a fair job of getting oil out... cut one of them open... at about $5 its a cheap help too.... sure you should have a decent one upline but for what gets by, that can help and it definitely helps with moisutre that is developed in the line.....

10. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

my post was more towards the person that posted.

The eastwood version is prob 3 inches in size and would need to be hardmounted in the truck. But i havn't seen any inline oil ones so far.

ryoken, what did you use for the airlines you built? Im thinking of going with the new plastic setup. Iron pipe is a lot of work and they rust. Then install a devil filter for painting.

11. ryoken

hmm, never considered plastic.. :thinking: be curious to check that out...

been awhile since i did the one in our current shop.. the first ones i did ions ago where typical iron pipe.. our new shop we did in galvanized and its held up very well.. the key is get it up to ceiling and back down with a trap.. ours runs to the ceiling, back down with a simple petcock, back to the ceiling and back down to our seperator system.. we run a Devilbiss DAD 500 dryer/filter system... we're set up to paint, so i have an inline oiler for my impacts, etc...

12. B_to_C

That's crazy. Why would everywhere say "DO THIS" if it was actually detrimental to the operation of the compressor? Did he explain why it was worse with the "fix"? And are you at all concerned about puking oil into your tires?

13. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

My buddy who does bodywork too, but for semi trucks and city trucks. Suggested me to use the air line system that is used on semi trucks. The air line is used for the air brakes. They use special lines with couplers. So the installation is easier.

Aluminum tubing has been marketing too. But the price per 10 feet is a lot. But the time it takes to be put together is a lot quicker due to the couplers. So installation time pays off the high cost of tubing.

Back on topic.

Are the york compressors new or used. When i get my truck, i plan on getting the same setup too. Maybe the rings are worn out and it is causing a lot of blowby.
    ?

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Rob's truck doesn't see street duty anymore so I doubt that he cares if there is a little oil in his tires.

Of course there is a half a dozen guys that air up with his york after the trail is over and drive home on the freeway including myself and I have not heard of it causing a problem with any of us.

Harley

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

1 word. SHRAPNEL

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Black iron is a big PITA. I ran all the air lines for our production building and tapped all the pipe by hand.

1 tip for a cheap moisture separater. Get yourself a decent sized air tank, we used a pair of 200 gal tanks but we use a high volume of air. Sink your tank(s) into the ground about 6 feet or so. At that depth ground temperature is a constant 50 degrees. Viola you have your own moisture condenser for way less than a bought one. Our old manufacturing building used this setup for 30 years. I've been using my current setup for 9 years now and it works great. Just remember to put in a drain valve to drain the moisture from the tank.

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

how do you drain em if they are underground?

18. ryoken

anybody here ever use the seperators that you use 2 rolls of toilet paper as the filters? they work suprisingly well... and replacement filters are umm, cheap... my bud runs one in his garage..

19. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

If that was true, they wouldn't be using it on semi trucks. It would be unsafe.

Is the rubber airhose used to attach to the air compressor considered shrapnel too?

20. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Well, to get back on subject.

Is your York sitting perfectly vertical? If it's not these things are known to puke out lots of oil. Mine sit's at a slight tilt and it does the exact same as yours. Spews loads of oil, even past the seperator (which catches most of it).

I've filled my tires a few times with it and I haven't lost a bead yet. When I eventually take the tires off the rims they'll probably be coated in oil, but not much I can do about that.

The only thing I can think of is to mount ANOTHER oil seperator and hope that gets the remainder of the oil out of the system.

Hey, if nothing else, I never have to worry about lubricating my pnuematic tools, right? :D