Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil leak around T-case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, May 6, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a small leak of oil coming from somewhere near my NP205/SM465. I haven't gotten under to look extremly close cause the skid plate is in the way. So...can I remove that skid plate without dropping the whole combo onto my head, or do I need to just worm my way under and look closer? I don't know if it will cause any problems, but it is unerving to have oil coming out of there. How do I check the oil level on these bad boys, and if I change the oil in them, what do I put into each? Also, I decided no lift for now, cause I wanna buy a dirt bike, so I will lift it later. I was told the leak could be the seal where the two meet, how do I check this? Thanks for any info!

1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs [​IMG]

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

To check oil on the t-case, take the top filler plug (square plug) on the back side of the t-case out. Slip your little finger in there and the level should be with in 1/2" or the bottom of the filler hole. To drain it, pull the bottom plug. More than likely what is leaking is the front output shaft seal. Easy to change, not real expensive. If its the seals between the cases, it will only leak out from the tranny to the t-case. This will cause the tranny (sits higher) to feed all its fluid to the t-case and eventually run low or dry. When you pull the filler plug, have a catch pan underneath. If fluid comes out of the filler plug, check the level in the tranny. If its low, then the seal between the 2 is bad. If the t-case is low only, probably the front output shaft seal. Being a 77, more than likely original seals, would think about changing out all the seals on the t-case.