Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil leak, can I ignore? Throw in your 2 cents. VOTE!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, May 25, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Finally put my truck back together and took it for a spin after the conversion to manual. Now my engine is leaking oil! It's coming from between the clutch housing and the inspection cover, so I'm thinking rear main? It only leaks when it's running, and for a while shortly afterwards.

I'm supposed to be headed home, Eugene area, and then down to the California border for some Memorial Day wheeling. Can I ignore this and just try to keep it full of oil? I really can't just cancel the trip. I also don't have a working oil pressure gauge, so I can't keep an eye on it that way. Don't have time to fix it now.

So what do you guys think? Can I put it off? Don't give a crap about this engine, but I don't want to get stranded!

How hard would it be to fix later on?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

How bad is the leak. How big of a puddle does it leave overnight. Could be leaking from the back of the valve covers. Valve cover gasket would be a cheap, quick, and easy fix.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, if your going to take the trip, at least install a working oil pressure gauge. I went to Montana and back with the oil pan leaking from the front at the timing chain cover. I didn't have time to fix it, so I kept an eagle eye on the gauge. I had to put in a quart of oil at every gas stop /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I wouldn't do it w/out some way to monitor your oil pressure while driving. Waiting till you hear stuff knocking around will kill it dead real quick. Just my $0.02.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How big of a puddle does it leave overnight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't leak overnight, just while running. So, I guess the puddle depends on how long I let it sit there. It drips once every few seconds, but would probably add up, wouldn't it? Don't think its coming from the valve covers, unfortunately.

I have a add on oil pressure gauge, with the nylon tubing, but it isn't hooked up. I don't know where I should run it to. There is a little plug on the side of the engine right above where the oil pan bolts on, would this work?

5. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

the hook up on my 350 was behind the distributir.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The stock one is there, but that's nowhere near as small as this little add on I have.

7. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

That little plug is to drain coolant from the block.

If it is not squirting oil, I say go for it. Check it often and take a case /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (of oil) with you.

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

If its only dripping, it would take a while to drain 5.5 quarts out of your truck. I would stop every 100 miles and check, if its good go another 100 and check. I have driven my truck with a dripping rear main on 200 mile trips to and from school, I would just besure to check the level before leaving and atleast once on the way home.

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you have a four bolt main 350, there should be another oil port at the front on top I guess you could say between the intake and timing chain cover.

My fitting at the back of the block is an 1/8 NPT fitting, maybe your factory fitting has and adapter. And my gage came with a 1/4 to 1/8 NPT adapter.

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thank you all for your input. I guess I'll buy a case and just keep an eye on it, maybe try to find that elusive port!

11. ban-one

ban-one Registered Member

As You use a manual transmission, don't You fear the oil coming from the rear main will smut Your clutch?
    A running engine won't bring You home without traction ... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Although it will take a little while, an oil leak in that area will get on the clutch friction material and will cause it to slip/go bad. Its just a matter of time. A bigger oil leak = less time.