Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil leak coming from timing cover

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Aug 18, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Couple nights ago, when I started my new motor up for the first time, I noticed an oil leak. Traced it back up to the timing cover. The cover is brand new, it's a 2 piece cover from Summit. It's chrome too. I knew I shouldn't have gotten anything chrome. Any quick fixes for this? It really sucked discovering the leak as soon as I get the motor together, then having to take off the alt, water pump, crank pulley, harmonic balancer, and all that crap, then using some of that copper gasket spray, putting it back together and still having the leak. Is there a way I can fix this without taking it all apart again? I know there's a miracle product out there somewhere

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah! Loose the 2 piece chrome "gadget"! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

And go with a 1 piece cover/gasket/etc? I knew it. Last time I ever buy anything chrome or in pieces /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

2 peice means one more place to leak....
    go with the billet aluminum one(BIG BUCKS(buy me one also))
    or with a one peice.
    like you said, chrome sucks. let alone you will run hotter if
    ya got LOTS of chrome.. i am guessing you dont...
    flat black disipates heat the fastest and best(hides oil leaks also)
    grant

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem on my Vortec. I just noticed it Friday. I used a factory stamped steel cover, the 1 peice pan gasket, installed a new front seal AND used Right Stuff sealer too. I havent bothered looking into it yet though. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

The only real way to solve this issue is go to Ebay and buy a billet aluminum cover, costs about 30.00 to 40.00 and then put a good gasket behind it and never worry about it again. The same cover is I think 75.00 or more from Summit.The 2 piece design is for the hot rodder who changes cams every weekend, (so you dont have to pull the pan)Unless you plan on this, then you'll be really pleased with the aluminum covers, actually i think I got mine for 22.00 but every auction ends differently. I used one on my motor and am very pleased good luck! While your at it put a gear drive in.....LOL just kidding.