Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil leak finder????????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, May 12, 2003.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Ok here is the problem, i have a major oil leak in my k5. When i had the tranny done i told the guy to check the sending unit and he told me that it wasnt the sending unit it was the back of the intake. Ok so i start investigating today as i cant see the back of it, so i feel all along the back of the intake ind it doesnt feel very wet. There is a little bit of oil there but nothing like what is on the bottom of the truck. So now im not sure if that is it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Has anyone ever tried that dye stuff they have at the parts stores to find leaks? Did it work verywell or was it just a waste of money and time? I guess what i am asking if you were in my shoes would you just take 3 or 4 hours and do the intake and pray the tranny guy was right or would you look elsewhere? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

try spray on deoderant or athletes foot spray.
    The powder will coat and stick in the area you think the leak is. You will see the oil trail in the powder.
    Doesn't work in the rain.

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We use the Fluordye Multi Purpose Dye (MPD) here at the shop and it works quite well. Degrease the area first, then add the dye. Drive the vehicle for a couple/few days (or less depending on the severity of the leak) then hit the area with a blacklight and watch it glow. BTW, accidentally, I found that the blue LED penlights will light up the dye also, so if you don't want to fork over the cash for a High Intensity black light, score one of those penlights and save some scratch. Good Luck!

4. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

I used the dye leak detector once for what I thought was a bad intake gasket. Turned out to be the drain plug gasket! Sure had me fooled, and I'm not mechanically challenged. What a great tool...

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Most of the times leaks at the back of the engine are valve covers.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

We use the dye for everything. a/c, trans, and engines. works great. but clean it first.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I agree, the dye is awesome, and easy!