Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OIL LEAK! HAD TO GO TO DALLAS!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I was driveing from Austin Texas to College Station Texas to pick up my girlfriend when I noticed my oil pressure falling. I pull off the road, and what do you know? Oil is burnning off the exsaust manifold, and the gas station parking lot is covered in oil. Anyway, to make a long story short I had to be in Dallas the next day for my brothers wedding. In College Station I changed my front main seal, and the oil pan gasket. NO LUCK! 600 miles and 2 cases of oil later I am back in Austin. I am hopeing that the problem is still the oil pan gasket. I was in a hurry when I put it on there, and the crank seals at the front and rear of my 350 are a pain in the ***. I dont think I got it on there real good. I know the leak is comeing from the bottem front of my engine. Oil pressure sending unit, rear main, heads, etc. are all dry, but the entire underside of my truck is coated. Anybody know what else could be causing the problem? Hopefully it is not a cracked block! My truck did come close to overheating a day prior. got up to about 230 I think. If it is a cracked block how can I find where it is comeing from besides the obvious clean and recheck. I know this seems pretty obvious what the problem is, but sometimes people got better ideas then I do, so I ask anyway. Thanks.

Sparky

78 K-5

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I would wash it off real good (at a carwash, or get some brake, or carb. cleaner, but don't do it when it is hot!!) and maybe get some cardboard or something to put underneath the vehicle and try to see where it is leaking from. You said that it is burning off of the exhaust manifold, on the bottom? You just need to look around. Another Austinite?? - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>One more thing, what about the timing chain cover, seal, the fuel pump, or gasket? Just a thought if you rule out the oil pan gasket. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hey should have said something, I go to A&M i could have helped you when you were here. Anyways if you need help here lt me know - Doug

Doug Krebs

5. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

i could have helped too i live in hutsiville.

Doin' it all on a college budget

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Thanks for the geneorus offers. I go to the other school right now. That would be UT for those of you who dont attend A and M. But, I am sure you would love to know that I am trying to transfer. My girlfriend gos to A and M and one of my good friends, Mark, skipped class to help me with it. We did all the work in front of Tree House II apartments. It was loads of fun in the rain.

Sparky

78 K-5