Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OIL LEAK!! NEED HELP

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by cvblazer, Sep 3, 2002.

1. cvblazer

cvblazer Registered Member

I have an 84' 6.2L Blazer. Within the last month, the oil has started leaking. I tried to put all the stopleak and stuff like that i could, but to no avail. It killed one of my starters too, by filling it with oil to the point it couldnt turn over. Me and my dad replaced the pan gasket and the main seal, and it seemed to work for about 15 min while we let it idle. When i drove it home though, i looked under and it seemed to be leakin still. HELP!! anyone have any advice as to what it could be. It seems to be leaking from the area behind the main seal and the rear of the pan. Any suggestions or ideas would be strongly apreciated.

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like its something simple.

Check your valve covers. Since the engine is angles upward, the oil tends to flow back and if your valve covers arent tight, or gasket is worn, oil will leak from back of engine.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Check you CDRV (crankcase depression relief valve) on the valve cover. If its clogged you're building crankcase pressure. Sometimes they can be cleaned. A vacume guage, or manometer, can be attached to the dip stick tube to check. I think you need to see 3-5 in vacume IIRC.

You said you replaced the rear main seal(?). Did you use the orignal rope style or did you upgrade to the later style two piece?

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't worry about the leak. Mine leaks too. I just blame it on the rice burner next to mine!! Might want to clean everything off and really see where its coming from.

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

'splain to me why you filled it up until it would not turn over.

6. cvblazer

Theese are all good ideas and will try them..... I wouldnt mind the leak so much if it hadnt killed my starter by filling it with oil, thats why i need it fixed..... and when i said i filled it till it wouldt turn over, i was referign to refilling my oil after it leaked, and its not taht it wouldnt turn over, its that the starter died because of the leaking oil, so i couldnt turn it over to start it.

7. cvblazer

And for the main seal, it was a single semicircle piece of rubber, that looked exactly like the one we took out.

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Two semi circles, right? That's the later style, I think '84 were the last of the rope seals orginally. When you install the seals did you try to off set the split a little (so the break doesn't line up with the cap surface)?

9. cvblazer

What we replaced were: the pan gasket, and the main seal, which came with the gasket. The main seal was only one piece (a single semicircle) that went on at the rear end of the oil pan instead of a gasket. Maybe what i am calling the main seal is not, because it was just a single semicircle, not two.

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Thats not a main seal, thats part of the pan.

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I dont have one on the valve cover, maybe somewhere else? Whats the thing that the 2 hoses from the intake manifold go into?

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What we replaced were: the pan gasket, and the main seal, which came with the gasket. The main seal was only one piece (a single semicircle) that went on at the rear end of the oil pan instead of a gasket. Maybe what i am calling the main seal is not, because it was just a single semicircle, not two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the gasket that you put on is not lined up(it will feel lined up and all that then it will leak they are a beetch to get to seal)...I went though 4 of them and I was getting pissed ,I tried to hold them in place with rtv (the 1 on each end) and on the forth try I got lucky and it sealed ....

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

What you replaced was the end seal for the pan gasket. Is your leak there or at the rear main? Like I said, I think '84 was the last year of the rope style rear main. Replacing the main require you to pull off the rear cap and work/pull the seal pieces from out around the crank.

The CDRV is plumbed to the intake and (all the ones I've seen) to the valve cover. GM may have plumbed some earlier 6.2 differently?

14. cvblazer

We are going to attemp to redo the pan gasket tomarrow. We are also going to check depression valve to see if it is clogged or anything. Another suggestion we had from a diesel mechanic was the intake manifold gasket. We are gonna look at that too. In case neither of those works though, and it is the main seal, how hard is it to replace the main seal. The diesel mechanics my dad talked to said that it wasnt worth it to replace the main seal because if the crankshaft was already out of whack.. it would brake another one. Also the fact taht you would have to deal with the crank and its bearings... Anyone done it before? If so, did you have success, and how hard was it to do??

15. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

An oil leak can't come from the intake manifold or its gasket because there is no water or oil running thru or near the intake manifold. It's not like a gas engine. There's only air going through the manifold.

Bent crankshaft? I don't think so. Crankshafts don't bend. They just break. I don't think you've been getting very good advice. Find another mechanic.

Replacing the rear main seal is not too bad. Just drop the pan, remove the rear main bearing cap, remove the upper and lower sections of the rear main seal, install the new seal, and reinstall the cap. If you've never done this before, and don't have access to a quality torque wrench, then don't do it. Hire it done.

Casey

16. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Early model 6.2L engines (like my '82 and '86) have the CDR plumbed from the intake manifold, to the CDR mounted near the front of the engine, and from the CDR to the oil fill neck. There are no connections or holes in the valve covers.

Later model engines have the CDR mounted directly to the passenger side valve cover, with a hose running from the intake manifold to the CDR.

I have a late model valve cover and CDR that came with my late model J code intake. I opted to install the J code intake with my original CDR location and plumbing. I think it will be easier to plumb for the turbo later on. The turbo requires that the hose from the CDR run into the inlet of the turbo instead of the intake manifold. Otherwise, the turbo would build up pressure inside the CDR hose.

Casey

17. cvblazer

We found out that it was the main seal. And despite what we had heard from local mechanics, did it. It was not nearly as hard as they had made it seem. I drove it home and looked under and it wasnt leaking!!! We finally fixed it. Thanks to all you guys for helpin out!! I really apreciate it!!!!!!