Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OIL LEAK ON A 84 Suburban PLEASE HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84Suburban, Dec 26, 2002.

1. 84Suburban

84Suburban Newbie

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OK, I do not want to sound like a bucket mouth here so I will get right to the question. I have a 84 Silverado Suburban K10 4x4 that I put a 325 hp RECON remanufactured engine in back in Feb of 2002. I have an oil leak from the Harmonic balancer or front seal area of the motor. The problem is this. The Engine now has 8000 mi on it and is out of warranty, So I am on my own here. I have already replaced the oil pan gasket and seals as well as the timing cover and the seal around the harmonic balancer. I have replaced all of the parts 3 times now and the leak has not changed. I even went as far as getting $30 reusable gasket/seal for the oil pan kit. Still the leak is the same. Now the area seems to be in the front seal to harmonic balancer area but due to the 4x4 it is hard to pin point while running. the really weird thing is that it will NOT leak while cold. It could take the engine longer than 10 minutes before it starts to leak but once warmed up it will leak a drip every 1-2 second from that location. After trying to fix this myself i have taken it to 2 different shops and the cannot pin point the leak either. I know it is NOT from the fuel pump, valve cover, or intake manifold. IS it possible that there is a crack in the block or that the crank is bent causing the front seal to leak? I am all out of ideas and very frustrated. I understand that diagnosing an oil leak is hard over the Internet so possibilities would suffice. I really am at a loss here.

Thanks in advance.

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

on the right (passenger) side of the engine, there are two bolt holes beside the harmonic balancer, the upper hole goes into the fuel pump push rod passage. It should have a short bolt threaded into it to keep oil from leaking out. Be sure to use a short bolt, a long one will contact the push rod and cause problems.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Barring the leak coming from somewhere else, if thats some cheapy rebuilt (or just re-used) balancer, it *could* have a groove worn in it from previous use, and no matter how good the seal is, it will still leak.

They make repair sleeves for the balancer, and they aren't too much, think Napa sells them.

Definitely find the real cause of the leak first though!

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have the exact same problem with my 350. I found my leak though. Mine leaks every so slightly at the bottom of the lip on the front of the oil pan. I too, am using the fel-pro 1 piece gasket. The leak pisses me off cause it won't go away. I think what it is,....is that where the front of the oil pan gasket seals up against the timing chain cover is a bitch to get at /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, and you need to use some heavy duty black silicone sealant there. Put about a 1/4" bead all the way across it before you put the gasket on. I will be tearing into mine again this weekend. I NEED it to stop leaking. The only upside is that my undercarriage is now virtually rust proof! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. 84Suburban

84Suburban Newbie

I did replace the harmonic balancer when I put the remanufactured engine in ealier this year. I was low on funds at the time and had to settle with a harmonic balancer from PEP BOYS. There are no signs of wear on it after 8000 mi but the fact that I got it from PEP BOYS makes me a little nervous. I was hoping to rule out a cracked block. I will check it over again. Seems odd that it didn't leak for so long and then now it won't stop. Thanks for the advice. I need to get this leak fixed so that I can sell it ASAP. I hate oil leaks and I know a potential buyer would probably frown on that too.

6. 84Suburban

84Suburban Newbie

THANKS FOR THE IDEA dyeager535.

I went to Napa and asked them about the sleeve for the harmonic balancer. I even took the balancer to them and showed them that it didn't have any groove in it but this older fellow said that it didn't matter and that sometimes they will just leak unless you attach the sleeve. So I spent the $15 and put the sleeve on and no more leak. THANKS AGAIN, I really appreciate the idea.