Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Leak, Valve Cover?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bluecollarjock, Dec 12, 2006.

1. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys,
    A while back when I bought my "new" 86 K5 many of you gave me good advice on all the things I need to address. Im recovering from another lower intestine surgery so cant get under it and start figuring things out just yet. I had two surgeries this year and cant risk another, its a literal "pain in the a$$".

Ok, this thing has supposedly a newer crate 350 with 7500 miles. Tranny and body have 87k miles, it was in a tow lot fovever before this guy bought it and built it up. On the drive home, the windshield starting fogging up a bit and a burning smell (didnt do this on the test drive). When I got home there was oil spray all over the bottom, dripping off the exhaust, tranny, transfer case. Some of you said check the valve covers, and the previous owner said he just replaced a valve cover. Also the tranny was just serviced so I do not know if they dropped it, but the engine was recently put in about 7 months ago. If its a valve cover, would it still be leaking just sitting ther not running for 3-4 weeks? Ive had it parked ever since I drove it home, and there is still fresh oil leaking all over the driveway soaking through the cardboard I keep putting there.

Just tried to upload some pics...cant get the website to work right now, if anyone wants me to email them let me know. Dont know if it will help.

Thanks, God Bless
    Matt

2. bluecollarjock

pics

see if this works...

100_0048.JPG

100_0039.JPG

100_0041.JPG

100_0042.JPG

100_0047.JPG

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks like a tranny pump seal.

4. bluecollarjock

more pics

more...probably wont help now looking at them...tomorrow I could try to take better ones.

100_0047.JPG

100_0045.JPG

100_0046.JPG

100_0048.JPG

100_0037.JPG

5. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i had a leak like that recently. it was my intake. it was seeping out onto the back of the block and down onto the starter and dripping all over the headers flowing back to the tranny pan and torque convertor dust cover and transfer case and driveshaft. all i did was DO my PCV system cause the PO put two breathers and there was waaay too much crankcase pressure. anyways.
    looks like yours is on the pass side and peek under there. see whats going on. spray it off really good with degreaser and get it really clean then run it for a while and watch it. also chrome covers are notorious to leak. hope it helps any