Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Jan 23, 2006.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I have a 94 gmc 1500, and I have motor oil dripping from my starter. It's hard to see where it is coming from, but I think it is the valve cover. Has anyone come across this?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

reach back and feel the back of the valve cover, the intake is also i spot i have seen leak a few time causing a oil drip

3. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Do you have the Vortec heads? (center bolt valve covers) I've seen the valve cover gaskets crack over time, and a semi-slow oil leak develop. Next time you change your oil, pour a generous amount in quickly, so that it should pool momentarily inside the valve cover. Then check the outside for leaks. If the gasket's cracked, it will be apparent.

4. 84mudmachine

I have another question, can the oil cooler be removed? This looks like a factory unit that runs to the radiator and back, and the line is leaking near the radiator connection. The oil filter screws into the the unit that looks to be between the filter and the motor.

5. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

check your dipstick tube and check the rear of the oil pan..
    I have oil comming form my dipstick tube cause its not the right one but never know.

6. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

Leak Dye?

The dealerships use an ultraviolet dye that can only be seen with a black light. I think it's only like 6 bucks or so and you can buy a black light for cheap. Clean the engine really good, put the dye in the oil, run it till it leaks, turn the lights off and the black light on and it will be easier to locate. I haven't tried this yet but I have heard some people used it and it works great. The dye is not supposed to hurt the oil properties either. Like I said I haven't used it yet so I might be talking out my keester but sounds like it makes good sense. The Olds dealership in town recommended it before I paid out the wazzooo for them to do the same thing. They really treat me right.

James

7. 84mudmachine

Can I take the curent hoses of and put in new ones with some hose clamps? Would this hold up to the pressure? I see many aftermarket oil cooler kits that use just regular hose clamps.

8. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

The 1st oil leak is probably from your valve covers. Clean the engine with degreaser, let it dry, and then run the truck for a few minutes. Mine drips down the sides and hits the (uncovered) flywheel which then gets sprayed on the headers. Let’s just say the Bat Mobile couldn't lay a better smoke screen.

I also had oil leaking from the radiator. The best fix is to install an aftermarket oil cooler and by-pass the radiator. I just cut the tubing and used a regular hose clamp from the rubber portions. You should really keep an oil cooler for these size trucks for obvious reasons and also the extra capacity that you get lets you carry more oil.

9. 84mudmachine

I went up to autozone and bought some new valve cover gaskets and line for the oil cooler. I just want to make sure it is ok to remove the factory lines and install the new line with hose clamps. Let me know your opinion.

10. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Is the oil cooler leaking at the connection? Or just before it ? Can you take a piece of rubber hose and slip it over the steel line(assuming it is steel) and clamp it at the leak? This works on tranny lines.If not,try to leave enough there to possibly double clamp the replacement hose, if it keeps leaking.

11. 84mudmachine

It's leaking where the hose meets the tub, where they crimp the hose.

12. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Here';s a dumb question...
    Is this really that big of a deal? I leak a little at the motor tranny and trans case, and just keep putting oil in it. I guess if I ever got bored I could fix it, but until then, I don't really stress about it. Am I missing sometjing?

13. 84mudmachine

I guess when I have to add a quart of oil at 2000 miles, it's a big deal to me. Plus, I don't like having a big oil spot on my driveway.

14. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

I can see that I guess. My truck leaks like a half quart motor 3/4 quart tranny and 1 quart trans case every 3000. I just buy kitty litter.

15. 88trailblazer

rubber hose and a single clamp at each end will hold the pressure fine. Thats what i have and Ive had no leaks from there yet. Its held up for the past 4 months

16. 84mudmachine

Cool, thats what I wanted to here. I just didn't know how much pressure is in the lines. I plan on replacing the valve cover gasket, oil lines, and check my oil pressure sensor and distributor gasket as well. I hope this cures the leaks.

17. 88trailblazer

Damn! I never thought of checking for an oil leak at the distributor. That would explain alot. Thanks for the unintentional info!

18. 84mudmachine

Well, I replaced the valve cover gaskets, and fixed the oil cooler lines. After some more looking, it looks like I will be replacing the intake gasket. The darn thing is leaking in the back.

19. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

My factory oil cooler adapter had a tiny leak, but it was all gone after replacing a shabby old O-ring.