Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Leak

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Jul 24, 2001.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I have a pool of oil on my intake manifold. It is on the driver's side next to the carb. I figured it must be the valve covers but there was no oil where the manifold and head meet. The manifold has a natural valley between the carb and head and I keep finding a little pool of oil there. Anyone had this problem before? Thanks
    Jeff

2. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I have never had a oil leak there, but I did have a gas leak from my carb that sat right were you described on the manifold. The heat of the manifold turned the gas into a thick lacker(sp?) like substance that looked like oil. You might want to check that option. Other than that I can't think of anything that would be doing that in that position unless you have a oil line running over that area for a oil pressure gage or something. Just my $.02 Good luuck with it and let us know what you find.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I have a leak in a similar spot, just behind the coolant passage on the intake manifold. This is because the Chevrolet heads don't have blind holes there and if the sealant on the bolts isn't enough or dries out and cracks, you end up with the bolts wicking oil up their threads and then leaking oil onto the intake. If you pull the bolts, clean them and the threads in the heads, then seal and re-torque them, you should be fine.

4. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

that must be it cause i dont have any sealant on the threads. thanks guys!