Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Leak!!!!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by sarazk5, May 2, 2002.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

My truck is leaking oil... It seems to be a pretty constant leak. So far we have done the following:
    1. Replaced both valve cover gaskets with 1 piece rubber gaskets.
    2. Replaced oil sending unit.
    3. New distributor gasket.
    4. New oil pan and 1 piece rubber gasket.
    5. New rear main seal.

The leak is running down the back of the engine. I took it into a shop yesterday morning. I was checking to see what they would charge to replace my intake gasket. I'm thinking that is the only thing that could be leaking so bad. According to him it is rarely ever the intake gasket, but he said it would be a minimum of a 4 hour job if he did it. And he wasn't sure if he could do it in that amount of time.. or in one day??

My problem is I have no where to work on it. If we did this job at home we would get fined $50-$100 by our homeowners association. Any ideas on other things that may be leaking? It is definitely coming down the back of the engine. Seem to leak most when i first get oil change or fill it. I'm at a loss! Anyone wanna help do it? hehe

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey sarah the first thing I would say is to get rid of the rubber valve cover gaskets I went through 2 of them before I tried the gasket ones and the leak stopped with the gasket ones
    When I had the rubber ones on it wouldn't seal on the back of the covers and run out there and on the side (I sould see it come out when filling it ) just my two cents....mike

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

in reply to

The leak is running down the back of the engine.

Leaking valve cover like said above....mike

4. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

the valve covers don't seem to be leaking.

Is there a dye that I can buy to see exactly where it is coming from?

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is a dye you can buy but I am not sure where to get it. My guess would be the intake leaking. I also would have to agree and get rid of the rubber valve cover gaskets, they become brittle and crack after a short time and then leak like hell. Use a good cork gasket from Fel-Pro or Victor.

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

napa sells the dye..now that i think of it i think i have a bottle of it in my center consel

7. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

thanks.. Chaz is it something that is easy to see??? Or do you have to use a black light with it?

Anyone wanna rent me their garage/driveway for a day? I'll supply the beer!

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

just dump the stuff in and get a black light and you should be able to see where the leaks are...i would pressure wash the motor befor puttin the dye in...then it would make it alot easier to find the leak

9. I am having a bad oil leak as well, it's coming from the back of my engine too. I replaced the valve cover gasgets will fel pro cork ones so I know it's not those. Over night there will be about 4-5 drops on the ground, but if I stomp on it while driving, and get it up anywere over 2500 RPM's then I can stop get out and it will be dripping all over. I am almost positive it's the main seal, but I'm not sure. Anyone around here want to help me replace one??? It really sucks because this is what's stopping me from going to Hollister. On the freeway it drips bad, and I have a 1 1/2 hour freeway drive each way to Hollister. Any help fixing this would be awsome. Thanks 80K20

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where do you live? I am in Fremont and my guess is you are south of Hollister.

11. No I am very close to you actually. I live in Woodside (Near Redwood City). My dad own's the vetrinary hospital, on Central Ave. in Fremont (Central Vetrinary Hospital). Let me know if you want to give me a hand. Thanks 80K20