Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OIL LEAK

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TB2Blazer, May 29, 2003.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think I found the leak it seems to be coming from the right hand exhaust manifold if you are sitting in the drivers seat. Smoke is coming out of the air intake on the top of the manifold and the oil is leaking from what seems like the underside of the manifold where it meets the engine the oil is a really dark color. Is it just a gasket or cracked manifold or what? Also, would swapping the manifold for headers fix the problem?

2. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Don't think swapping headers/exhaust manifold will fix the problem. Sounds more like a leaking HEAD gasket. If the gasket is bad you should be losing compression. Probably time for tear down and rebuild.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds just like a worn out engine with oil control problems to me.

What do your plugs look like? Wet and black?

Head gasket doesn't seal OIL, it seels water and compression. I am willing to bet it's NOT the head gasket.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd guess it's just a bad valve cover gasket...oil runs down the head, drips and burns on the exhaust and pools a bit near the bottom of the head where the head bolts are.

It's hard to keep small block valve covers from leaking. I ended up buying a used set of cast aluminum covers just to get a more rigid and flat gasket surface, and I never had another valve cover leak./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you were going to get any fluid leaking between the head and the block it would be coolant before it would be anything else.

Rene

5. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I found the leak it is coming from the engine. I took the manifold off and started it up and sure enough oil started leaking from the exhaust ports on the engine it was spewing it out and dripping down the engine. Whats wrong with the engine blown head gasket, need a new engine? I'm afraid to ask.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can it be anything other than bad valve seals/guides? Nothing else I can think of, except a hole would allow oil into the exhaust port, at least not as a liquid if the cylinder is still firing.

7. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

How many exhaust ports are spewing oil? Are the spark plugs fouled? (black and sludgey) How much oil is the engine going through between 3000mi oil changes?