Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Jan 5, 2004.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Mar 13, 2003
    I HATE Oil leaks and my 88 has one which seems to be coming from above the oil cooler adaptor. Has anyone else had problems with that adaptor? Now the rear xfer case seal leaks too since I did the drop /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    There is an o-ring between the adapter and block, but unless you removed it, it's unlikely that would just start leaking.

You say drop, I assume lowering the t-case? That probably put a load on the crimped on connectors where the lines meet up with the adapter, and I'm betting that's what's leaking. Local hydraulic shop just built my friend a set for about $70 using parts of his existing setup. (the fittings) We swapped motors, and apparently in the process of moving the lines out of the way, the fittings started to leak.

The later rubber style ones seem to be much more prone to leakage than the earlier steel braided (likely ovebuilt) ones. Surprise.
  3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Dec 18, 2002
    Is it coming from above the adapter? Mine had oil leaking down onto the adapter from a little plug up by the oil temperature sender, and from the back of the intake manifold gasket. Major PITA!