Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Leaking all over the undercarriage! HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Nov 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I have a small balck 350 and I had recently replaced the oil pan and seals front and rear... about 5 months from then to now-- a leak began at the front of the pan area and has been getting worse everyday! I now have to pour a Quart in everytime I want to go 30 minutes to someplace. it's all over the undercarriage-- blowing in cars faces i'm sure... I heard that there are Two half round gasket sizes for tyhe small block 350 that go in the oil pan...but the guy at NAPA told me the culprit may be under the HARMONIC BALANCER-- a small steel O-Ring with a collar on it...usually fails. What Am I getting myself into if I have to Yank that thing? Is this a weekend job? Or can I do this alone without expensive tools.
    It's really bad-- and I'm not sure where to start...Other than degreasing the engine and locating the leak. I need help guys/girls.. Please ICQ me if you've got the time-- I'll be back here at 11:30 Pm tonight to check this Post. ICQ#: 31135513
    -Dv8

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

What type of oil pan gasket did you use? When I replaced mine the 1st time, I used a cork 3 piece gasket, and it leaked after a week or two. Then I replaced it with a single all rubber gasket from Autozone and it hasn't leaked for months.

If you used the cork type, get the rubber one and replace it again.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

you can pull the balancer and o-ring seal in nothing flat if you have the time and space to do it right. you have to pull eveything off the front of the block and drop the oil pan inorder to get the timing cover off. you have to have a wheel puller in order to get the balancer off. as mentioned in the other reply, it could just be the quality of the gasket. you could of also put the front seal in the back and vise versa. My 79 jimmy leaked like it was going out of style, so I did it once and did it right, all new gaskets. Good luck and let us know what you find out..

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

if you have a car quest near ya they have a really really nice oil pan gasket that is a one piecer... (it is expensive, but reusable, and seals very easily)

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Yeah, yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah--- rubber this and that- I HAVE THAT... all the stuff came direct from Summit including new oil pan(non-rock crawling bashed!) Matching pan to gaskets and such. Used only the finest quality Blue RTV silcone... the pan doesn't leak-- it's all from the front-- the NAPA crowd gave me insider tip that the harmonic balancer seal was probably the likely culprit. My post was regarding THAT information. I wanted to know if anyone thought that it was true. the pan was sealed for 5 months! no leakage. until 2 weeks ago- it would use a quart after 350 miles, some drippage from the front seal area. now it pours all over the ground...the bottom is well preserved! Dead Dinosaur juice sprays all over the header pipes, the exhaust system, the new Mufflers that I purchased with my Government refund!...you know?!
    I need Info from a Chevy Mechanic... a Hackers Guide to the Engine Room if you will. I have a mechanic for the really heavy duty Crap that I cannot do...which is very little At this point. I just wanted to know what a non certified mechanic like myself was getting into. I've used this Messege board for Rare occasions like when the Manual doesn't tell you that you probaly don't need to "go there first".
    So excuse me if I may be curt with you all, Time is a factor and also mother nature-- I don't want to continue dumping so much oil all over the highway and trails If I can help it.

6. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Yeah, yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah--- rubber this and that- I HAVE THAT... all the stuff came direct from Summit including new oil pan(non-rock crawling bashed!) Matching pan to gaskets and such. Used only the finest quality Blue RTV silcone... the pan doesn't leak-- it's all from the front-- the NAPA crowd gave me insider tip that the harmonic balancer seal was probably the likely culprit. My post was regarding THAT information. I wanted to know if anyone thought that it was true. the pan was sealed for 5 months! no leakage. until 2 weeks ago- it would use a quart after 350 miles, some drippage from the front seal area. now it pours all over the ground...the bottom is well preserved! Dead Dinosaur juice sprays all over the header pipes, the exhaust system, the new Mufflers that I purchased with my Government refund!...you know?!
    I need Info from a Chevy Mechanic... a Hackers Guide to the Engine Room if you will. I have a mechanic for the really heavy duty Crap that I cannot do...which is very little At this point. I just wanted to know what a non certified mechanic like myself was getting into. I've used this Messege board for Rare occasions like when the Manual doesn't tell you that you probaly don't need to "go there first".
    So excuse me if I may be curt with you all, Time is a factor and also mother nature-- I don't want to continue dumping so much oil all over the highway and trails If I can help it.

7. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey if you dont want people to try and help you, you can keep up your crappy attitude, these guys/gals were taking their own time to reply to you for what info they could give, if you dont appreciate that info or knowledge I highly suggest you leave because we dont need those kind of attitudes causing trouble around here ...

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

8. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

You should stick with the Bicycle , Paul.
    It suits you having that pike pump jammed inside you...inflating your head!

9. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I don't appreciate that very much. I have been so excited since I bought My blazer that I haven't thought of much else. Though I am not offended by your remarks, since they dont seem very educated, I am not going to call you stupid names that mean nothing, I will just say you better think a little harder before your next post.

GO BUSH

10. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

11. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Do you take pride in attempting to put people down ? I dont know what it is with people like yourself?

GO BUSH

12. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Ok Charlie Brown. everything isn't always Hunky Dory. and Golly gee wilikers Batman. When you are frustrated and you ask a question to someone, anyone(not even here) and it goes unanswered or maybe they say they'll get back to you --then they don't.. then you forget...then you remember...oh yeah--I asked Jane a Question and she didn't answer it...she said she's get back to me...and then you ask it again, and still nothing...and you look elsewhere for an answer and you get ignored-- it tend to get kinda tiring. I"ve seen so many questions on this BB that all are basically the same thing, just reworded differently-- it pisses me off to see the same posts over and over and over again...they all have to do with a few simple things: Tires, what size, gears, what Transfer case, adapter this and that, what axles should you use, whats the best grease--

Quid Pro Quo!

Everyone needs everyone else for something. Some people find it amusing to just see their posts on here and get answered. USE the "search feature." Redundant posts should be deleted. Maybe a forum for Posers should evolve from this mess..I don't know... There's alot of information already gathered from the various real users on here that we can all sip from. At this point I don't really care what gets answered.

Free speach. I havn't violated any crimes. I'm voicing my opinion. And as everyone knows we all have assholes. I don't care if you feel that way... not everything is peaches and cream... Some users on here seem to carry on like they're "Care Bears or Fraggles" . I'm not happy right now and I just want to vent. Give me some slack. I'm sure you all have uttered an expletive or two sometime in your lives. There is an underlying theme to this nights' Rant-- If it isn't apparrent email me and I'll unload.

13. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Whatever dude, just make sure you wake up on the right side of the bed tomorow [​IMG]

GO BUSH

14. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Paul, *SOB* , I should have never let your bower my soap when we were in Jail *SOB*!

heh heh!

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The ballancer isn't all that hard to take off. You need a puller (which some stores will loan out) and the seal. If when you get the balancer off it has a grove in it you need to get a speedy-seal for it. It has a thin stainless sleave that goes over the warn down area so that the new seal will seal.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Replace the ****in seal and stop whining...
    Ooooo everyone look at me, I'm the first one to ever have a frustrating oil leak...boo hoo...sob sob, bitch moan and cry. Break out the tools and fix it instead of stepping all over Paulie.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

17. doubledeuce

doubledeuce Registered Member

Well if you are as knowledgable as you say you are you would realize that the only areas that would be leaking from the front of the engine would be as follows.
    Intake manifold at front is a usual area if rubber gaskets are used. Suggest using rtv in the front an rear where the intake/head meets the block, paying special attention to the edges where the intake gaskets/intake/head come into contact with the block

Front of the valve covers. Suggest inspecting and resealing.

Timing cover. Suggest inspecting and retorque.

Crank seal on front bttm of timing cover. Using SS sleeve and new seal if needed as stated by Triaged.

Timing cover to oilpan seal. Paying special attention to the edges where the timing cover/oil pan/block meet.

Seal between the fuel pump and block or cover and block if using elect pump.

Bolt on front/passenger side of block used to hold the fuel pump metering rod when removing/installing the manual fuel pump. Sometimes comes loose if not using lock washer.
    I Think this is where the motor mount brackets used to be mounted in the 50's or so but don't quote me.

only thing left would be cracked block but who knows

That's it. But you should know this RIGHT??? DD

Just two cents from a K5 poser as you put it. But at least I'm a proud poser.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by doubledeuce on 11/09/01 02:51 AM.</FONT></P>

18. MacGuyvers_K5

MacGuyvers_K5 Newbie

I back up DD. Exactly what he said. And I'm Certified.

19. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Damn you even have an attitude on the post where people are trying to help.

People dont answer and you bitch... people answer and you bitch at them. What the heck do you want!

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

20. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I for one could give a sh!t less what he wants.
    I opened his thread when I got home from work earlier and after seeing his response to Jeff and Paul, two long time and respected members...
    Well **** you bud you are a class act [censored].
    You seem to have a grip on where the problem is so what do you want? 10 members at your door with tools and parts and an easy chair for you?
    It is one thing to be wound up over a problem. Like Jeff was when he rebuilt his plant.
    But he was nothing like you and he even apologized when I seen no reason that he had too.
    Numerous members walked him through his project.
    Ya wanna know why ?
    Because he asked for help.
    As for you.. I wouldn't piss in your mouth if your head was on fire.
    Where in the hell is the pissed off flip off smilie.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.