Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil leaking around oil filter BIG TIME

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Apr 24, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

HELP! I have been tracing an oil leak thinking it was the pan gasket. But after cleaning up all the oil that has blown back while driving I started it up and see that the oil is running down the filter and making a puddle the size of a small plate in about 30 seconds of the engine running. Please help me figure out what is going on. I have had this ruck about a month and have not changed to oil yet *trying to fix some smaller problems) could this be an old oil filter gasket that got stuck and is preventing a proper seal. I tried tightening the filter and it is as tight as I can get it yet still pouring oil.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ok, this shouldnt be too bad-

First, check to see where the oil is seeping out of- there is really only 3 possible parts:

1. The oil filter gasket area.
    2. The oil cooler lines (if any)
    3. The oiler cooler lines mating area sandwiched between the oil filter and engine.

Ok, First things first, clean the area. Check to see exactly where the problem is. It will not hurt you to take the old oil filter off, check visually and by feel to make sure there is no gasket material left on the mating surface. Also make sure to see if the old one was dammaged in any way. Replace with new (pre lubed, including gasket) filter, and see if it sitll leaks.

Its cheaper now to spend 10 bucks on oil and filters than to spend 1k later to replaced a siezed engine.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well no cooler so that eliminates two options. It is just the filter screwed to the block. Problem is can I drive it the 5 mile round trip to the parts store or not. When I start it the oil pressure is really high and will come down after a bit (drove around block to check). Next question is what kind of oil and how much for a 454.

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i would not drive it w/ it leaking that bad. u need to pull the filter off & see if that is what it is like pookster said.

i guess u want to go get another filter? i still would not drive it.

oil is a personal preferanse that could become a heated debate. personnally i use castrol 10w30 in my 454. mine holds 8 qts, but i bet yours doesn't

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure the gasket from the old oil filter is not still stuck to the block.

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I was actaully just looking for the weight and amount not brand names (I prefer Valvoline Maxlife) so 10w30 should do it. Will I need about 8 quarts then?

7. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

How long have you had theis problem? Did it come up after you have had an oil change?

I would start by dropping your filter and like said before, make sure the gasket is on the filter, then make sure there is not another filter gasket stuck on the block mounting surface.

As far as oil capacity I am thinking it should be a 5 quart system. But I am not sure. It should say on the emission sticker under the hood. You know the one that has the vacuum diagram and such on it. Should be there on the core support.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Is the filter a Fram? If it is, that may be your problem

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

The emissions label has been painted over long ago so no help there. I have fixed the problem now so no worries. It was actually a Napa filter and with no obvious damage and no extra gaskets. But changed the oil with 10W30 and new filter and no more problems. Wound up using QS high mileage since Wal-Mart never has enough Maxlife and a Fram filter. I know, I've heard all the stories about Fram filters but personally have never had a problem with them. Besides I work at Wal-Mart so I get a discount and thats what we carry. Thanks for the help guys. I wound up using 6qts but it is a little full, it will burn off soon enough though (few other leaks to still work on /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Thanks again for the quick replies,
    Monty
    BTW: VERY nice to be able to change the oil with out having to jack up the vehicle. If only they made an 8 inch lift for my cutlass ciera /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Wonder what the problem was then...

maybe the threads ont he filter were messed up and didnt seat right/or fully in to seat the gasket?

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

might have been the wrong filter, if it did not have enuff room to thread on then it would not have had enuff preshure(SP iknow) to seal

my 2 cents

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wal Mart also carries a Super Tech filter which puts the Fram filter to shame in performance and costs half the price.

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I've always wondered about the supertech filters but didn't know. The Fram I got was only about 3.50 or so. Anyways I think it might have been the wrong filter but the funny thing is it seemed to be fine the first couple weeks I had the truck. Anyway seems to have fixed the problem seems like the pressure is kinda low though as low as 15 when warm and 60 when cold.

14. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    seems like the pressure is kinda low though as low as 15 when warm and 60 when cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds good to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

You being serious or kidding with me on that?

16. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've always wondered about the supertech filters but didn't know. The Fram I got was only about 3.50 or so. Anyways I think it might have been the wrong filter but the funny thing is it seemed to be fine the first couple weeks I had the truck. Anyway seems to have fixed the problem seems like the pressure is kinda low though as low as 15 when warm and 60 when cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

15psi is way too low, maybe your gage is jacked /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Mine runs at 60 at all times /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif