Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Line Leak

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jp0863, Jul 7, 2006.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

a few months ago i replaced one of the oil cooler lines. it recently started dripping a little when the engine was running. i tightened the fitting a little tighter and now it leaks alot more... any idea's.? i pulled the line off and the o-ring seal looks to be ok so i dont know where to start looking for why it was leaking.

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't know why that would be, but i had a similar problem, and used some of that plumbers tape stuff over the threads of the fittings and it fixed the problem. give that a shot - it might be worth the 2 bux for that tape. :)

3. jp0863

hmmm, already have the tape, might as well give it a shot, thanks

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

It's common to have leaking oil lines. Evidently the aluminum tubing and crimping used is a little weak. Most reccommendations I've read are to go with something else than stock lines.

5. jp0863

well i finally had time to look at it. it appears the line was rubbing on the body seam in the firewall and make a small pin hole which caused the leak... new freakin hose too. i was more careful with this one and made sure there was plenty of clearence

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine look ready to pop...

The oil cooler lines on my 82 K20's 6.2 are rusted where they come out of the block,and where they turn to steel behind the radiator...When they start leaking,I'm hoping I can have new hoses made from regular hydralic hose like a backhoe would have..that hose has steel braid under the outer rubber casing,and is extremely durable(4000 psi rating!)..if not,I'll try to find barb fittings to allow bulk hose to be used with clamps..

I'm not using GM OEM hoses (if I could even get them still!)..they are cheap vinyl tubing with aluminum crimp collars,and I see lots of them come "uncrimped" and pop off on 350's and in S10's,and blow the motor up in short order when all the oil gushes out!..and they aren't cheap either!(100+ bucks-!)-I've seen new ones pop in two months on one customers S10,now he's got low oil pressure,and it knocks when first started.....:doah: :crazy:

7. jp0863

got mine from napa, they seem better then oem and cost $50.