Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil lines leaking..anyone change 1 b4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jp0863, Feb 21, 2006.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i ordered both oil cooler lines yesterday. they should be here in about a week. how big a job is this? looks like they're hard to get to. anyone have any experience chnging these? is there anything i should know that may not seem obvious? thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Too bad you didn't post up before you ponied up the bucks to order new lines. :( I've bought new lines from GM ONCE. They started leaking about a year later. :mad: I found that it is WAY cheaper to remove the leaking lines and take them to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses. They cut off the old rubber and fittings, then install new stuff. This way, you keep the hard lines and end fittings, and just reinstall. I had both lines repaired this way on our '94 Sub probably 3 years ago and still NO leaks. Cost? $28 total. :cool1:

Removal is pretty easy. Once you get under there you'll quickly figure it out. Just need a couple of flare nut wrenches.

3. chevyk2500hd

chevyk2500hd 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine with GM ones. And they have never leaked. Simply unscrew from radiator and pull clips from oil filter housing.