Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil on drums!?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dleroy43, Apr 20, 2004.

1. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I noticed something leaking out my driver side drum yesterday so I pulled it open and noticed that it was covered in gearoil. I found where the inner seal got ripped somehow. I bought new shoes and seals for both sides. now is it possible to reuse the drum if cleaned good and how would I clean it?? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yes, reuse it, just clean everything real good with brake clean.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Also check the axle shaft to make sure it doesn't have any burs on it that could ruin the axle seal.

4. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I noticed something leaking out my driver side drum yesterday so I pulled it open and noticed that it was covered in gearoil. I found where the inner seal got ripped somehow. I bought new shoes and seals for both sides. now is it possible to reuse the drum if cleaned good and how would I clean it?? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll end-up having to replace the shoes. I bought a new work-van a few years ago that blew a rear axle seal. It was under GM warranty & the dealer told me it didn't cover the shoes when I told him I wanted the soaked ones replaced. The gear oil soaked into the shoes & won't clean off with the brake cleaner. In the process of using your brakes, they'll heat-up & "boil" the gear oil back out of the linings. I took my van back 3 times (after b!tching everytime) before I told them to replace the shoes or I'd call Chevrolet. Shoes replaced.....problem solved /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i forgot all about the brake shoe thing, cool of ya to throw that little detail in. Just totally spaced that, sorry.

6. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

reuse the drum clean with brake clean toss shoes into box and take back for core $$

7. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thanks for the help gonna get some brake cleaner and put on the new shoes and seals this weekend. I should just go to disk but my truck fights me with everything. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me, I cleaned the drums really well and replaced the shoes. No problems since /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you keep having a problem with the seal, then it might need a sleeve kit. Over time, some rear spindles get a groove cut into them, and a stock rear hub seal will not seal anymore. Then you need to get a seal sleeve kit, which comes with a steel sleeve that goes over the spindle, and an over size seal.