Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil on the spark plugs ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, May 3, 2004.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

well my truck has been runnin like ass for the couple days shes burnin more oil then usual and so i decided to pull the plugs replace the cap,rotor,wire etc.. well i started pullin out spark plugs and found that a few of them had oil covering them what could be causing this??

2. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

If its not smoking all the time (white smoke from the exhust), than its probably warn valve guides. If it seems to smoke, then you probably have some bad piston rings.

3. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Like camok10 said it could be valve guides or seals or piston rings.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Smoking at startup, valve guides. Smoking when you get up in higher RPM's, rings.

Obviously not always 100% correct, but a good guide.

If you are burning oil, don't waste money replacing plugs, scrape the crud off the electrode, and re-install them.

My worn 350 had one cylinder that liked to burn a bit of oil, the plug was always "fouled" (but never ran bad) so every oil change, I'd just pull the plugs (to make sure other cylinders didn't have problems) and clean any that were dirty.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    My worn 350 had one cylinder that liked to burn a bit of oil, the plug was always "fouled" (but never ran bad) so every oil change, I'd just pull the plugs (to make sure other cylinders didn't have problems) and clean any that were dirty.

[/ QUOTE ]Exact same situation on my new 406...#8 cylinder will build crud up on the plug for some reason...just clean it every once and a while. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif