Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Oressure going up and down

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigd652, Jan 31, 2004.

1. bigd652

bigd652 Registered Member

Just noticed yesterday that my oil pressure gauge will drop ro 0 then back up to 30 where it always sits. I can watch the gauge flutter around. Thinking if it were my oil pump it would just drop down to 0 and sit there. Could it just be my oil pressue switch is pooping out on me?

2. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Gauge is probably developed a bad connection to the printed circuit board on rear of cluster. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. bigd652

So nothing to big to worry about at this time.....

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It will do that if it's low really low on oil when you take off. Otherwise probably the guage or sending unit.

5. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Just as long as the lifters don't start talking. That would be a sign of a pressure drop especially at an idle. click,click,click,click,click,click. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Does it "flutter" when you let off the gas, or just randomly?

Mine "fluttered" when I let off the gas, only explanation I could come up with was a sloppy timing chain that was "jerking" the oil pump. As long as engine was at a steady speed (load or not) the gauge stayed put at a constant reading.

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Low on oil??

Check the dipstick (the one under the hood /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

8. bigd652

OK so maybe it was alittle low on oil.... lol /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif all is well again. Put in 20/50 this time. Burning it faster then i thought... Thanks for all the info. Did hear some chatter just for a brief time then i shut it off and put in some oil and all is quiet again. Think she is ok?

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did hear some chatter just for a brief time then i shut it off and put in some oil and all is quiet again. Think she is ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably gonna be fine but it sure didn't help it any.

[ QUOTE ]
    Put in 20/50 this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

20w50 is some pretty thick and gooey oil. Especially in your climate. How many miles on your engine?

If your engine is worn a bit then thicker oil may help you nurse it along for awhile longer. I ran 90 weight gear oil in a 1971 Impalla with a small block back when I was in High School (early 80's) and it quieted it down really nice! The guy who bought it from me said it sounded great /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. (I know, I know ..... but I was young and dumb)

10w30 is USUALLY a better choice for most engines. If you have a leak, fix it. If you put thicker oil in it to slow the leak it will also slow the normal flow of oil to some of the more trivial parts of your engine ..... like your bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I see you are new here. WELCOME /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I think you'll like it here, most of the rest of us do!