Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil overheating?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Nov 29, 2001.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

At highway speeds, my oil temp guage pegs @ 250*[​IMG] around town it stays at about 210 or so. i have the factory oil cooler and am out of ideas. suggestions?
    thanks!

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What does your coolant run at?

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

not sure of the exact temp. it is the factory gauge. it was staying "below-mid" on the guage.

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If your oil is overheating like that then your oil pressure will be zippo. If you have normal oil pressure when it shows overheating then the temp gauge is on drugs. Also if your oil is getting that hot it is breaking down <font color=red>FAST</font color=red> and the engine will probably be making some strange noises.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

any suggestions? or should i get a new sender? guage?

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

put a known good guage in for testing. doesnt have to be pretty just a temporary thing to determine what is actually occurring

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sure doesn't sound like the gauge or sender is good, if that is abnormal engine oil temperature. (anyone know what normal is?) Remember, this stuff doesn't get cooled like your radiator fluid, and lubricates better warm. Cold engine oil isn't best. Of course too hot doesn't help either.

However, in a little bit of checking, mobil1 synthetic was the only thing I could find temp specs on. "Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Series products protect engines up to 246°C (475°F)."

Thats synthetic...even then, half of that is just under what you are running, if you are in actuality running 250 degrees.

If someone else comes up with "regular" oil temp specs, that would probably be more indicative of how "safe" you are. I can't see any reason how if engine coolant temps are normal, your engine oil temp could be changed one way or the other, besides being routed through a cooler that is too close to exhaust. (headers perhaps?)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I run about 190-195 water temp, about 175-180 oil temp until I put the engine to work in the hills and then see about 200 oil temp. Has your engine always shown this high oil temp? I find that if I bring RPM's up to above 3500 in any gear for very long the oil temp goes to 235-240. I then richened the carb jets and brought oil temp down about 10 degrees. Could you be running lean or too much ignition advance? Oil temp is a better "picture" of whats happening inside the engine than water temp is. I installed an oil cooler and never see oil temp over 210 now. We'll see how this new 427 works in the hills. I installed it with an 8 qt. pan and use the oil cooler too for an additional quart. Up in tRusty's country the hills are long, steep and high!

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

9. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Where do you guys run your engine oil temp senders, I would like to get one just because I like the tons of guages look. I was thinking in the pan?? I don't have a cooler I may get one, but probally not, I don't tow or anything.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

P.S. It'll be an autometer MECHANICAL guage so no little itty bitty electrical sender.

10. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Just out of curiosity, are you running headers? Mine was cooking the filter causing the oil to run hot. Oil filter relocated to front cured problem.

11. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I welded a fitting in my oil pan about 1" above bottom on side almost directly above front driveshaft U-joint. Stays away from exhaust pipes and easy to run wire down past starter to hookup sending unit. Even if you don't tow, it helps you to know when your engine is properly warmed up before you "put your foot in it".

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

No headers. it is still pegging. it is plumbed into the oil cooler line.

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

13. Ancient_4X4

Ancient_4X4 Registered Member

That's very weird. How do you tell the tempurature anyways? My 77 doesn't have a marking for tempurature. It just has a C and then 3 lines and then the H line. My truck never goes over the first line except when it's hot out and I'm driving 70mph on the interstate. In that case it touches the line and sometimes just barely goes over, but that is very rare and like I said only when it's hot out. My truck has always had good oil pressure though (even when there's barely any oil in it). If my tempurature guage ever went even as far as the halfway point I would know there is something seriously wrong. What kind of radiator do you have? You're supposed to have the 4 layer heavy duty one.

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have the stock coolant temp guage you spoke of and mine behaves just like you described. My oil temp AutoMeter guage is what is runing hot. 210* on the street, pgs @ 250* on the freeway. I might spring for a 300* max guage and see what happens...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How many guys run oil temp gauges? I don't know anybody around here who has one......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

16. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Im running readers and no heat shield on my oil filter. My oil pressure gauge s reading pretty low but i still have oil in. Is it possible that the ooil is getting really hot and thinning out?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

17. Can Can

I don't know if your headers are causing your low oil pressure woes. I have duals and my driver's side pipe sits about 1 inch from my oil filter.....I've never had it cause low oil pressure.

Have you changed out your oil pressure sending unit to see if that fixes it? My pressure went from dismal back to where it should be when I replaced the sender.

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

my pressure is fine. it is the teprature that is through the roof...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

19. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

where would i find the sender?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

20. Can Can

Zakk- you're a meatball[​IMG]......I was answering 79 Jimmy with that one.......hehe!!!![​IMG]

79jimmy- Your oil pressure sending unit is located on the back of the block beside the distributor. It looks like a little silver vessel that should have either one wire or two wires plugged into the top(probably one wire though). The sender screws into the block- to replace it, unscrew the old one and screw the new one back in. It's a little cramped back there but it goes in no too bad.