Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pan and Oil pump replacement: What else?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Sep 1, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for the best instrucion (SIMPLE) on how to replace my fragged oil pan and oil pump-- what else do I need to replace this? I have to get gaskets yes-- but is there special front and rear oil pan seals and do I need a special set of tools to install? Do I need to Torque the bolts down on the oil pump to spec or Can I just crank them down tight?

Haynes is explicit but doesn't give an easy way to remove it without yanking off the Automatics' cover plate and this and that....

It's a 1984 engine with Passenger side oil dipstick--350 engine-- th700r Transmission...

anyone ever done this before?

Your infinite Wisdom is greatly appreciated...

--DeeVee8

"You tried your best and you failed miserably.The lesson is, never try" [​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have done this on my 82 seferal tie. Luckily there is enough room so you wont have ot lift the engine.

THe only thing I can think special that you will need is the correct thickness rubber gaskets in the frnt of pan under the timing chain cover and the rear for the main seal. I dont remember exactly which one you should use since the last time I did this was about 4 years ago, but I am almost positive you need the large unit in the front..

Also they make one piece oil pan gaskets which make it easier to seal but usually cost a few more dollars.

i think that both size seals come in the old multi piece gasket kits and the part store will be able to tell you which one you need to use!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Also, there is just one bolt that holds the oil pump on, and I would recommend that you torque it to spec. One thing you don't want is for that to fall off.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I recently replaced my pan. It is an 86 with a one piece gasket. Pretty easy job, no engine lifting, I didn't have to change the pump, but I would imagine there are tightening specs you should use. Use alittle silicone on the studs after you put the gasket against the block in order to hold it in place, pain in the a$$ if you don't.

Good Luck;

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

On the 86 you should have the thick front seal if this is the original engine. To check, after removing the oil pan, compare the two end gaskets. If they are the same thickness, then you have the thick front. If one is thinner than the other, then you have the thin front. Another way to check is to remove the gaskets, place the pan back in place and see if there is a gap between the timing cover and pan. If there is a small gap, thick set, if no gap, thin set. Summit has the one piece gasket that would make it a snap. On the oil pan, make sure all the bolt holes are flush. If they aren't, you can use a small hammer to tap them flush, If you use the multi-piece, put the sides on first, then the end seals. Put a dab of Ultra RTV at the junctions of the ends and sides, then put the oil pan in place. Run all the bolts up snug not tight. Then torque the small bolts (7/16) to 7 - 9 ft lbs. After they are all torqued, then torque the larger bolts at the end (1/2) to 12 ft lbs.

6. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

How much oil pressure did you have before you changed the pump and then how much did you have after you changed the pump? Also how many miles are on the motor. I wondering what a new pump will do me if I changed it. thanx

JD
    88 Gmc Jimmy

7. bosifus

bosifus Registered Member

I know I am a newbie but make sure you check your clearences for the pump to the bottom of the pan, I think it is supposed to be around 1/4 inch. If you have a decent manual it will tell you and if you do not go to the library and make some copies of theirs.It is cheap and they have actual GM manuals. Good Luck!