Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pan confusion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jul 3, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok im puttin an new pan on my truck. an 86 k10. now i know the engine is not the origional..meaning not an 86...and i had this pan that was givin to me to put on the truck. well, this pan , in the front of it, has a much more deeper end to it if you know what i mean. and the holes are spaced farther apart, the front two main holes. any one know what year pan mine might be or what year engine for that matter judging on the pan?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds like a damn ford oil pan. All sbc pans have the same holes and spacings. Unless you have an aftermarket performance block. Only difference is which side the dipstick is on. Why do you need a new oil pan?

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

no its a small block chevy, actually ijust found out while looking at gaskets and stuff, that in 86 is were it changed up till like 93 or so. the enigne in my 86 is an 85 or older i know that much. the dips in each end of the pan, are different on the back from the 86 up ones, form the 85 and older, . my pan is all rotted, well more like cracked and the guy who had it befor me tryed to fix it but it leaks liek hell. im going to try pounding the dent out of it and fixing the leak, if not ill have to just look for another pan, cause the pan that was givin to me is for an 86- up.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Aside from dipstick location all SBC oil pan bolt patterns are the same.

1985 and earlier with 2 piece rear main seal are the same with exception of dipstick location.

1986 and later with 1 piece rear main seal are all the same.

1985 and earlier are different than 1986 and later because of the rear main seal.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't recall which years the difference is, but there most certainly are two different SBC pans for two piece rear main engines, I've got pan gaskets for each.

Don't remember if hole spacing is different, but if I understand you correctly, the place it doesn't fit on yours is where the timing cover mates up to the pan gasket, correct?

Whatever fel-pro's one piece pan gasket OS 34510 T fits, is NOT what my two piece rear main (1969) 350 takes. I had to buy the other one, as the front part of the timing cover is different.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actually you are partly correct. The pans in which you are thinking about are only different as in which front rubber seal you use to seal against the timing cover. There is a thin and a thick front rubber seal that was used. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good call, I almost forgot about that difference.