Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pan, front main seal and rear main seal.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Apr 25, 2001.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I have a minor leak from the rear of my oil pan. This weekend I was going to drop it put in new gaskets. But many people tell me different things on what is needed to replace the seals. Some tell me I have to pull my harmonic blaancer to get the front seal out. others tell me not to mess with it becuase it will never seal right again. First of all how do you pull it and how hard is it. there seems to be quite a bit of room under the negine to lower the pan after my lift. I have a NP203 and TH350 mated with the engine.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blueknight.coloradok5.com>http://blueknight.coloradok5.com</A>

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hey there
    I can tell you that this a cake job.
    BOOHOO Fordies.
    The front seal is a snap. Get a puller from sears and pull the damper off. You will have to remove the rad. and all that but no big deal.
    install The new seal with a socket or piece of pipe.
    If the shaft on the damper has a groove worn into it put a speedi-sleeve on it and you're good to go.
    DON'T hammer the damper back on.
    I went to napa and bought a 7/16 fine thread grade 8 bolt about 4 1/2" long and ran a Die down the entire lenghth.
    then useing a nut and the damper washer I hold the bolt and run the damper in with the nut.
    Oops hold up. a 396 will use a 1/2 inch bolt.
    I have bolts for all kind of plants. Cheaper than an installation tool. And takes about 5 minutes to make.
    I have replaced countless front shaft seals with out any leaks. ;-)
    The rear one can be a pain in the a$$.
    I did the rear seal in my 73 C20 (454) a couple of years ago and that wasn't too bad.
    At least you don't have to pull the tranny.
    I just happen to have a rear main seal and a couple of fronts for a BBC .
    Let me know and I'll send em to ya.
    See ya

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah they're Fel-pro seals

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint