Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pan gasket question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Aug 17, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Hey k5ers,
    Just curious what your procedure is for applying new oil pan gaskets for older k5s with the 2 rubber gaskets at each end of the pan
    1) Do you apply rubber gaskets 1st and then apply cork gasket to the block then bolt oil pan on?
    2) Do you apply the cork gaskets 1st to the block and then the rubber gaskets then bolt oil pan on?
    3) Do you apply the rubber gasket to block and apply cork gasket to oil pan then bolt on?
    I did step 3 applied gasket to the oil pan then bolted oil pan on the block and the gasket just doesn't look like sealed with rubber gaskets.
    I'm thinking I should of did step 2)Applied the cork gasket to the block, then the rubber gaskets, then throw a bead of rtv sealent on the pan then bolt pan on.
    Changed many gaskets never oil pan gasket and just can't figure out the best sealing method where the rubber gaskets meet the cork gaskets
    Help Help Help
    James

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I ran into the same dilemma, and I kept getting leaks.[​IMG] I talked to the guys at the local speed shop here and they recommended a one peice pan gasket. Moroso I think (sorry its been awhile.) Man was it slick! Easy to install, new bolts, and no leaks or futzing around trying to get it all lined up properly. The only drawback is that it costs about $25.00 which is kinda pricey for a pan gasket.

[​IMG]

3. James

James 1/2 ton status

Just bringing to top. Was told the one piece is for 1975 or later. Need help. Have to do this tonight

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Put a dab of rtv at each point were the seal meets the cork and a thin bead of rtv on engine block side of gasket. H ave done this several times, no leaks, P.S. just don't use too much rtv, just a thin bead. put seals in first.

5. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I also used Fel-Pros one piece gasket. I even reused one time no 2 time now!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken