Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pan Gasket...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AkMudr, Jan 16, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm tired of the 4 piece POS cork gaskets so I'm gonna rock the FelPro 1piece..BUT...They have a "thick" and "thin" front seal.

SO, for an '85 Chevy 3/4 ton 4bolt main, 2-piece rear main seal, which one should I go with..becuase they offer both for the same motor and I don't feel like buyin both when I only need one.

I know someone here has done this or has ran into this before.

P.S. Engine code "M"

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ugh. :)

I've got the "wrong" one for my engine, and I think its the right one for your engine that I'm trying to sell.

From what I recall trying to bolt it up, it wasn't really the thickness, but the half circle diameter where the pan gasket seats against the timing cover.

Any chance you have the pan out? I've got the pan that WOULDN'T fit my motor, I could at least measure it and compare with you.

I'm 99% sure that is a year thing, and I think they are incorrect in offering both for the same year. My block is a '68.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It is a year thing, one style is up to 75 or so, all 75 and later use the other style. The fel pro 1 piece fits both dipsticks (driver and passenger) and I believe all 75 and later.

Just go to the store and ask for a 1 piece oil pan gasket for an 85 engine, they'll hook you up.

Keep in mind that 85 is the last year that GM used that 4 piece trash, all 86-up one piece RMS motors use a different oil pan and a factory 1 piece oil pan gasket.

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Cool. I was gonna order it from Summit and they show "thick" and "thin" for my year motor which I didnt think was right. (have had NO luck with gettinthe right parts locally) Looked on Advanced Auto's website and they show the "thin" version only so it should be the right one.