Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pan Gasket!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Peeetah, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Ok, I'm going to try to do this correct this time. My problem is I ALWAYS get a small leak from my front pan seal. Not the timing cover seal but the part where the pan meets the timing cover. What should I do to prevent this? I am planning to put a heavy coat of black RTV all over the front rubber seal and make sure is pristinely clean before I do it. I'm going to let the engine sit for about 2 days before I even refill it. If anybody has any other suggestions they would be much appreciated.

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I remember the last time you had this. Thick seal vs. thin seal, been theere done that. Don't need a glob of RTV, I used Ultra Blue RTV and it has work well, no leaks. When you put the seals on, run a small bead (about 1/8") at the junction where they meet the block. Put RTV on the pan and get it lined up and start all the bolts and run them up finger tight. Use a socket and tighten them evenly starting in the middle and working you way out. When torquing them, step torque (torque in increments until the desired torque is meet) them to the correct torque (if I remember right it's 8 for the 7/16" bolts and 12 for the 1/2" bolts). Also, make sure the pan lip is straight. Use a ball peen hammer or a body hammer with a backing plate to get the bolt hole area level. Give the RTV time to cure and add oil, usually about 6 to 12 hours depending on temp and humidity (RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizing). Good luck this time I knoiw it's a B#$%@ to do this with the engine installed.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I really like Gasgacinch. The stuff will seal almost anything (never use any gasket dressing around ATF). It is made to be used along with a gasket. Just put a light coat on both sides of the gasket and the block and pan and install. Pan studs rather than bolts make things alot easer.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I used to install the oil pan with a cork style gasket and it would always leak no matter how much RTV I used and how careful I was. This last time I got the FEL-PRO rubber gasket. It came with some plastic clips that you screw into the bolt at both ends of the block. Then all you have to do is slide the gasket on and then slide the oilpan on. It lined up perfectly and then just replace all the other bolts. I installed mine dry and it hasn't leaked yet.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

i believe you just want to put sealer on the oil pan side of the gasket and the rubber end peices. if you put it on the block the rubber things can slip inside. i did it once the wrong way and went throught about 14 quarts of oil in 55 miles. the second time i was told to use sealer on only the one side and i have not had any problems since.