Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$%$##%^% OIL PAN GASKET!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Jan 20, 2003.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, before anyone says it, yes I did a search. Here goes...

I have a '74 350 4B main that I cannot stop from leaking at the front of the oil pan. It is not the front main seal or timing chain cover. I even went and bought a fel-pro 1 piece gasket. $40 later and NO LUCK THERE!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I talked to a mechanic that has worked on ONLY GM cars and trucks for the past 20 years, and told him about my problem. He told me that there are two different gaskets for the front of the pan. One is thinner and the other is thicker. I have never heard of this, and when I went to the local NAPA, I got the 1000 yard stare from the parts guy. Does anybody out there know if this is true?? I'm about to get personalized plates that say "VALDEZ" on them! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif This thing is leaking oil profusely! I'm about ready to throw a stick of dynamite under it!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I need /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Yes, this is true. When you buy the oil pan gasket set, it comes with two front rubber gaskets - one thin and one thick. It will be big time obvious if you put the wrong one there, because the gap is huge. I think ours (1974, 75) is the thick one, but I can't remember - I know I had one left over when the job was done.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I guess the reason I didn't pay attention to is was because every gasket set I bought only came with one front gasket. There were no others to choose from. Looks like I get to spend some more "quality time" with my truck.....This is gettin' old..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Be sure not to over tighten the pan either. You'll squeeze the gasket right out.