Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pan gaskets suck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Aug 4, 2006.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

whoever desided to use four piece oil pan gaskets is an @$$hole. :mad:
    I just cant seem to be able to get all four of em to line up at the same time so Ill be getting a one piece rubber one tomorrow.;)
    Just wanted to brag a little that Ive almost completed my first cam swap with no drama other than the oil pan gasket which Ill get tomorrow. then I get to see if it still works which it should cause it is all still in time and everything is lined up and bolted down correctly.

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't be sad, I think we all remember how long it took me to do my Oil Pan Gasket swap after my dipstick broke off. I'd say all said and done about 12 hours of work throughout a week or so.

-Avery

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

THey line up nice and easy when it's upside down on the stand. :wink1:

4. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I have the oil pan gasket swap down to an hour and a half of drama less pain. I had to do it 3 times in a week due to a leak that turned out to be my oil pan. The first time the gasket wasnt set right, the 2nd time I put RTV all along the rear and the 3rd time I replaced the oil pan and RTV the whole thing. Now it holds oil and I am happy.

5. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Been there with the multi-piece crap.One piece gaskets are the way to go.:D

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Thats what I got, and I love it. MIne has a metal core though, so you dont over tighten it.

7. big dan

picked up the one piece gasket today. it also had a metal core and came with plastic studs that hold the gasket and pan in place on the block till you get the bolts started and it came with new bolts too. ten times easier than trying to use those multi piece ones. its all back together now with no leaks and it runs awesome.

8. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Wait, if you have a gasket with a metal core can you just tighten it as much as you can?

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't get too carried away; it wouldn't be too hard to snap the head off one of those 1/4" bolts. It's not the steel core that prevents over-torqueing, it's little round hard spacers around each hole.

10. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

So what is the model number of the one piece reusable fel pro for a 77 motor (two piece rear main) that I seem to be hearing so much about? And do I cake both the oil pan and the underside of the block with RTV (I searched but it seems I heard a lot of different things)

11. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Check out Summit racing, they'll have what your looking for. Yes I would use RTV.

12. big dan

dang that was a long time ago.:eek1:

most parts houses carry the one-piece gaskets. I dont think they have the ones with the metal cores but they do have the plastic pieces to keep from over tightening the bolts.

fel-pro recommends only using rtv at the corners of the gasket where two different surfaces meet, such as the timing cover and block. however, I didnt use any rtv and the gasket never leaked.

13. tumbleweed1002

tumbleweed1002 1/2 ton status

The fel-pro one peice pan gasket for the one piece seal requiers no rtv I run one without any rtv and it dosent leak a drop.

14. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

While on the subject, are their any recomended oil pans? I prefer cheap and painted, like black or red, unless it's aluminum. Saw both on ebay, not sure of the metal thickness though. I have a small hole in my current pan (pin hole) think if I roughed up the chrome jb weld would fill it in?

15. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Mine required sealant where the timing chain cover and rear main cap meet engine block. Other than that, nothing.

Here's an article I wrote for 4x4 Mecca on replacing my rear main seal which obviously involved the oil pan gasket. It has the part number I used for the motor in my truck which came out of a 73.

Rear Main Seal Replacement

16. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this right now... I'm on my 3rd gasket set. I bought a 1 pc. Put it in and its leaking also. I have a 1974 engine. I just read on the box that if you have changed the oilpan on a 74 and below you will probably need a 75 and newer gasket set.. Apparently the 75 and newer has a thicker front seal. Up untill this last time I had always bought a felpro gasket set and it came with 2 front seals and 2 rear seals.(1 thicker and 1 thinner) this time It only came with 1front and 1 rear.

Hopefully this will solve my problem. and hopefully they will take my 1pc back and get me what I need.