Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*Oil pan question*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985K20, May 21, 2005.

1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

While changing the oil on my baby today, discovered a nice oil leak on side of pan...the pan needs to be replaced and i was just wandering if i have plenty room to replace without having to lift engine?? Looks like im good but just want to make sure.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yup, did one in a 77 K10 a few years ago. IIRC we had to jack the truck up by the frame, and let the front suspension to droop a bit to get it out.

3. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly what I didn't want to hear :frown1:

But thanks now I know :o

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Might come out..

It might come out fairly easy,some years and models you had to take out the thru bolts in the engine moints and jack up the motor by using a block of wood under the oilpan,and then putting the bolts back thru and rest them on TOP of the mounts(might need small peices of 2x4's there for more clearance)--DONT FORGET TO TAKE OFF THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP!!--or you'll need a new one! :doah: --keep an eye on all the hoses,cooler lines,fan blade to radiator,etc that might get "stretched" too!..its a lot easier on a 4x4 than a car or 2wd,to get the pan off..most times you can get it off on a 4x4 without jacking up the motor,but not in all cases... :crazy:

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think you are misunderstanding this... i would be happy to just have to jack the frame of the TRUCK up and do noting near removing the engine in order to do the pan.... i have don it before. its easy, but can get messy. let everything drip for a while if you are in a garage. this is the closest you are going to get to a COMPLETE oil change till ya do it again or pull the motor. anyway its not that bad, just some thick blocks of wood preferably large jack stands under the frame and then pull the pan. if you dont have jack stands that go high enough then remove the wheels and tires and support the frame by the jack stands letting the suspension droop more.
    Grant

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

just jack it up by the frame, and let the front suspension hang down, not touching the ground so you get full droop out of it. not a huge deal at all. if you're lifted at all, you might not even have to jack it up.

7. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i changed the oil pan on my 86 k10 with 4 inches of lift with no problems at all, didnt jack it up or anything,

i also helped my friend put an oil pan on his 91 k5 with no lift, we just had to take the bars off that run from the engine to the tranny

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive changed the pan gasket of both my trucks when they were stock. my k20 even had BAD saggin front springs, i did NOT have to jack the truck up, or the motor. its a little tricky to get the pan front edge over the engine crossmember. but was able to do it with out a jack. IIRC, my k20 also had shot motor mounts so the motor sat a little lower than normal.

this is a great time to go with the 1 piece oil pan gasket, alot easier than trying to hold 4 peices up with silocone and not bumping them so they fall.

9. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

Well here's the truth bout the oil pan: came off right easy, no jacking, no prying :D ...jeese i love my K20!

But the only thing is puttin them F***ING cork gaskets back in place without moving them :mad:

So i pulled out my gray silicone to glue everything together.Now on sippin on a cold Budweiser coolin off :mad1:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

should've taken TJ's advice and gone 1 piece seal. they're gray to put on. i'd almost bet with that silicone you get a nice leak and have to do it all over again.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes those cork gaskets are a big PITA with the pan upside down. i will never pull the pan and not use a 1 peice gasket ever again after doing one. it was 300 times easier.