Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pan question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Sep 8, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

can one remove the "shelf" or i believe its called the windage tray from an after market oil pan. i have one that is cracked and loose and i want to remove it, but i wanted no consequences from this action. i cant remember my stock oil pan having one. any answers would be great.

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I wouldn't. They are there for a reason and it's not worth a motor.
    Buy a new pan! Even a good used one should be cheap.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

10 seconds with a MIG welder and it would be as good as new. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I had one repaired that had been ventilated by a broken rod that just wanted to peek out and say Hi! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

New oil pans are so inexpensive it would be a good idea to replace it.

John

5. HarryH3

A good aftermarket pan isn't my idea of "inexpensive". Especially when the one he has can be fixed for nearly free. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Summit has thier house brand stocker for around $30, but the others they sell start at around $75 and go on up to around $300. I'd just weld the crack and call it good, then spend the money saved on something else. But hey, I'm a cheapskate! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. chevyracing

I guess I have always been one of those people that likes to have things like new. 30 bucks to me is very inexpensive for something like an oil pan, but what the heck, if you can weld it without warpage and it doesn't crack again go for it.

John

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

$30 oil pan will save a $1500 motor. a no-brainer IMHO

8. HarryH3

But an oil pan isn't a structural member, nor is it under pressure. It's just a bucket that's sealed to the bottom of the block. So fixing one is also a no-brainer. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Spray WD-40 on the weld after it cools. If there's still a pinhole, you'll see some of the WD-40 show up on the other side of the pan. If WD-40 won't wick through, then 10w30 won't either. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Since this is an aftermarket pan, we're talking about way more than $30 here. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've welded hundreds of oil pans for extended sump systems on large commercial generator sets. The steel pans are extremely easy and warpage isn't really a factor at the bottom of the pan. The cast aluminum pans were a nightmare though.

We used a dye penetrant to check for cracks and leaks...a white powery type of crap was sprayed on the outside and the dye/penetrant was sprayed on the inside...if no red penetrant came through after 10 minutes it was cleaned up and installed.

I'd weld it and forget it.

Rene

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    So fixing one is also a no-brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

so just make fun of us who don't have brains /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I have an oil pan that should fit your, im trying to sell on ebay now if you want, ill sell it to you before someone bids.

12. HarryH3

so just make fun of us who don't have brains

[/ QUOTE ] I just figured that you don't have welders! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif It's a really fun toy that makes you look at all metal in a different light because you know that you have the ability to melt pieces of it together. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. chevyracing

If an oil pan does NOT increase the structural integrity of an engine then why do the crack, even without an impact against it?

John

14. HarryH3

If an oil pan does NOT increase the structural integrity of an engine then why do the crack, even without an impact against it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Vibration. Do you really think that a thin, sheet metal bucket bolted to the bottom of an engine block that's made from solid cast iron is going to provide structural support for the block? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

can't beleave I just read all of that.......
    you guys are good.
    the wedge in oil pans are to keep the oil from sloshing around, if you were a circle racer the baffel would be on the opp. side of the way you go around the track. It keep the oil in the bottom for the pump to pick up. so if the pan is not a way oversized type the baffel is doing you really no good.

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

When I grafted 2 pans together to put a 350 in my S15 Jimmy I couldnt make the welds perfectly leak proof due to lack of practice welding. So I just used JB weld to fill over the real weld. It never leaked on me either!

17. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

can't beleave I just read all of that.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Try being in my shoes! I'm a total newbie and am reading every post I can cram into my little brain. I am learning though. Some of it is starting to make sense now that the names of parts etc...are familiar. Oh, well. On to another informative post...BTW you guys ARE good! I should know alot more about what the heck you guys are talking about in a year.(I hope) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. chevyracing

Vibration. Do you really think that a thin, sheet metal bucket bolted to the bottom of an engine block that's made from solid cast iron is going to provide structural support for the block?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

John