Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pan removal question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

i want to eventually change the oil pan gasket. to do this on a 305 does the engine need to be lifted? the main thing i noticed that might get in the way is a bolt going through the upper part of the passenger side tranny support and also going through the motor mount.

thanks,
    matt

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

nope...i just got done doing it. i had to remove the starter and i just set it on the axle. take off the braces from the engine to the transmission and take off the flywheel cover. the transmission cooler lines also will need to be pushed out of the way when the pans coming down and going back up. while you've got it apart check the oil pickup screen...mine was full of sludge and carbon deposits...after a little cleaning my oil pressure is much healthier now.

3. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

alright thanks a lot, when i was doing my timing chain a couple of people mentioned having to lift the engine, plus it also said this in the Haynes manual for chevy pickups and blazers.

thanks,
    matt