Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Jan 4, 2005.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

will a oil pan from a two peice rear main seal fit a engine with a one peice seal?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The short answer is NO!

NOPE!--I had to buy one for my 86 305 motor ,and I wasnt happy,because I had a nice one for the older 2 peice rear main motors:mad: .. A new one goes for about 60 bucks from aftermarket sources like autozone--I got one in the SPI brand for 30 bucks from a place I found online about 100 miles from me--after I drove there to get it,the one peice rubber gasket they claimed came with it wasnt included after all--another 20 bucks at autozone for their "cheap" version of a Fel Pro gasket(called "Ultra Seal",in a plain white box with Fel-Pro's name on it--fifteen bucks cheaper than a "Blue Seal" Fel Pro--looked exactly the same to me!)and I was ready to install!!--I later learned the SPI company has an outlet in the next town over from me,I could have bought it there with the gasket for less than 60 bucks!!:mad:

I didnt really look that closely,but two of the things I noticed as far as differences in the pans are where the dipstick goes in,and the way the pan fits around the rear main--and my starter would not bolt up to the 305(mine was from a 250 six,the regular "staggered bolt pattern one V-8's use also),the starter has a slightly different angle on the nose,to tilt the solenoid away from the oil pan "hump" where the dipstick goes in--I fought with the original starter for a half hour,couldnt get both bolts in it!!!--good thing I pirated the starter from the donor vehicle...:crazy:

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i am wondering because me and a freind are swaping a older engine into a s-10 blazer so he can drive it while the other engine is being rebuilt and the 4x4 s-10 have a different oil pan would my best bet be to modfy the other pan by cutting and welding it to fit or should i modfy the newer pan to fit the older engine

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dude ppl have oil pans laying around left and right just ask for one they are cheap and are real light to mail

oil pans sbc go as follows:

55-79

then 80-85

then 86-up

for oil pans

good luck