Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pickup Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pops, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Pops

Pops Registered Member

HI guys, good to be back. I have a question that I know has already been covered some where. I am working with a 4.3 vortec. Now I know that rice burners are @#%%#, but this one is getting a 4.3 in it.So it's not a true rice burner. It will allow my blazer to rest some. This will be a work truck. The problem I have is the vortec engine's oil pan is hitting the drag link. I have found a rear sump pan that will clear the link but the oil pump pickup is too small for the one on the vortec. You know the hole in the vortec pump where the pickup goes is about 5/8", the one off the other 4.3 is about 1/2" or so. Where do I need to go to find the right pickup screen. I thought the pumps were the same and the pickups different, but these are not the same. I don't know the year of the standard engine, but it's '86 up. I need one that will go deeper in the deep sump pan. The regular vortec pickup won't work.
    Thanks for any infor you can give me. grumpy1. Happy in ALABAMA!:1zhelp:

2. Pops

Pops Registered Member

What Icons?

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What about using the oil pump that has the correct sized hole in it, is that not an option?
    I'm not too familiar with the 4.3's, could another option be to swap the oil pump bottom plate for one with the correct hole size?

4. Pops

Pops Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I just thought it would be simpler to just replace the pickup, but you may be right in just replacing the pump. But if I replaced the pump it would have to be one from the yrs '94 and back. I have found out that most all 94 s10s had the 5/8 hole. In '95 it seems some had the 5/8" and some had the 3/4". This may make my engine a '95 or better. All the pumps from '95 and up are 3/4". Since the 5/8 had a drop intake screen for the deeper pan, I was thinking the 3/4 would do the same. I have 2 ordered now. If you are up on part #'s one is 211-s the other is 213-s. Both are for 3/4" hole pumps. I will let you know if either works tomorrow.

5. Pops

Pops Registered Member

Well, having had no luck at Advance Auto Parts, and the local
    chevy dealership, I did what any country boy would do. I fired up my torch and made me one, that looks good as new. The new pan is now on and awaiting the time for a trip into the bay (engine). grumpy1.:usaflag:
    HAPPY IN ALABAMA.